17. Choices

When Severus returned from the loo, the house was extremely quiet...and abandoned. He had been in there for a few minutes. Thea had not yet returned. A frown settled on his face.

Instinctively, Severus took out his wand. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up and everything inside of him was telling him something wasn't right. Thea should have been back inside by now. Even if Harry was out there with her, they should have both been back inside. Maybe they had gotten lost in the forest. No. Thea would know the area around her home like the back of her hand. There was a good possibility that she still hadn't found Harry though. He walked toward the door. He was just going to have to go find them.

He flung the door open, but he didn't step outside. He took a few steps back, his wand aimed in front of him. Jones walked in from out of the cold, leaving the door wide open. He was not alone.

"Well, well, well," Jones said. "You were here the whole time. We were at this place a number of times and in the forest. We never knew this place was here. Heck of a protection spell, I'd wager." He patted Harry's leg. Harry was draped over his shoulders like some kind of mink stole, unconscious. "Potter always was a friend to traitors, wasn't he? Who does he think he is hiding a filthy Death Eater?"

"Get your hands off him," Severus said dangerously, ignoring the commentary. His grip tightened on his wand. He was holding onto it so tightly that his knuckles were white.

Jones laughed. "Don't feel like talking then?"

"Not to you. Let him go. You don't want to duel. I assure you, I will win."

"You're in no position to threaten." He never took his eyes off of Severus. "Come on in, Clemmons. Bring your little gift."

Severus narrowed his eyes as Clemmons walked in. He wasn't alone either. He had Thea. Her face was red and there was a cut on the side of her head. A trail of blood ran down her face. He had her wand in the same hand as his own, both of them pointed at Thea. His arm was around her neck and he practically dragged her inside. Severus started to go to her, but Jones reminded him with single slap that he was in a very precarious situation. Harry was unconscious. He couldn't do anything to help himself. At least Thea was awake. Then again, that might not be a great thing considering she was being held as a hostage.

"What was that you said again, Snape?" Jones said in mocking tone.

Severus pressed his lips together.

Thea tried her best to wriggle free. "Let me go!"

"This is a fiesty one!" Clemmons commented. "It's going to be fun seeing the light leave this one."

"Leave her alone!" Severus shouted. His wand was focused on Clemmons now. "Let her go. She has nothing to do with this. Nor does Harry. Let them go and deal with me."

"I don't think we'll do that, Severus. See, we came here for you," Jones explained, "but since we found the two people that have been helping you all this time, we think they should be punished too."

"We're going to be nice though," Clemmons chimed in, an evil gleam in his eye. "We're going to let one of them live. You get to choose, Snape."

Fear twisted Thea's features. How cruel could these men be?

"I thought you were supposed to be the good guys," Thea spat. "You're nothing but murderers!"

Clemmons punched her in the stomach. She cried out and Severus set his jaw.

"Do not touch her again," Severus demanded.

"Then tell her to keep her mouth shut."

Severus looked at Thea, their eyes locking. "Please don't say anything."