11. The Plan for Revenge

It was morning before Severus Snape opened his eyes again. He hadn't realized just how much the day had exhausted him. He still wasn't back to full strength just yet and his stamina wasn't nearly as high as normal. He groaned as he rose and sat there on the couch for a moment before getting up. That's when he had noticed that Thea was still sleeping soundly on the other section of the couch, the part in front of the rocking chair. She looked so peaceful lying there that he didn't want to disturb her. He picked up her wand from the table and laid his down beside of hers. As quietly as he could, he fell into his normal morning routine, the one he had at his own home in Spinner's End. He brushed his teeth with a toothbrush she left for him, took a shower, refreshed his clothes with a magic wash and dry, and then put them back on. When he came out of the loo, he was as quiet as a mouse.

He crept into the kitchen and opened up the refrigerator, took out a slice of cheese and toasted the bread with fire from Thea's wand. He poured himself a glass of orange juice and tiptoed over to the rocking chair. He ate in silence as he watched her sleep. It was strange, the way he had started to feel about her in such a short time. He was overprotective and concerned for her comfort, not wanting to impose on her, but at the same time, any time he thought about leaving saddened him. There was one thing for sure. Thea had made a lasting impression on him.

He finished eating and cleaned up, all without a sound, and then he got a piece of parchment from one of the drawers in the kitchen. He smiled when he pulled it out, realizing that he wasn't the only one to have paper in every room in the house. He had spied some in the bedroom, in the bathroom, and now in the kitchen during his time there. He scribbled a note to tell her where he'd gone and left it on the coffee table near her. In the note, he also apologized for having to switch wands with her. He was sure she would understand. Thea was one of the most compassionate people he had met in a long time.

Severus didn't want to take down the protection spell, nor did he want to wake her, so walked toward the back of the house. He shut himself up in her bedroom and apparated out of there, hoping that the walls between him and her would muffle the sound of him doing so.

When he reappeared, he was inside of the castle. He smiled to himself. He had apparated right in his former quarters in the Dungeons. He shrugged. Might as well start here, he thought. There wasn't much to do actually. The framing of this section of the castle was still standing strong. There were a few weak spots, but he could fix those with no problem. His personal stores were fine too. Of course, he'd had to put a protection spell on the door. Slughorn had to ask him if he needed anything. He had to be sure he wasn't trying anything the last year he spent here.

"It was hell," he mumbled. And it had been. The students despised him. They revolted in any way they could. Neville Longbottom had surprised him by being so brave and so bold. All the Gryffindors had really. The other houses got behind them, but they were the first ones to instigate resistance. He wouldn't have expected anything less.

Once he was finished repairing the Dungeons, he moved up the stairs to the lobby. If he started from the ground up, he and Harry would probably meet at some point. He was busy repairing the places that hold significance to him. He doubted that he was even there at the moment. If he was, he would guess he would be in Gryffindor tower working, if he hadn't repaired it already. The bottom floor was the worst. It was in shambles. He could only imagine the horrors that had taken place during the battle. He wasn't there for most of it, but he knew Voldemort and his followers well. There wasn't a kind bone in any of their bodies. Severus lifted Thea's wand, and began to work, humming softly to himself. This would help him cope with having to hide, with what he had done. Even if it just subsided his guilt for a moment, it would be worth it.