5. Memories

Harry stared at the door. He had no idea why Thea had excused herself. All he had told her was that he wanted to see if Severus had stopped by yet, if she had seen him. She had looked like she wanted to tell him something, but with the amount of sleep he had gotten lately, he couldn't really be sure of anything. She was gone for, what seemed like, forever. He was about to give up and leave. Maybe she had excused herself and hoped he would go away. He hated to bother her. She seemed like such a nice lady. But he had to find Severus. He just had to.

Suddenly, the door opened again. Thea stood there with a smile on her face that could have illuminated the night. She stepped to the side.

"Come on in, Harry."

"No, I don't want to intrude. I just wanted an update. I know I'm harrassing you-"

She cut him off. "You're not harrassing me. Just come inside." Her eyes met his. "Please."

Harry frowned. Why did she want him to come in? She had mentioned him having tea, but he had already told her that he didn't want to intrude. After all, it was late. But he didn't want to be rude either. "Okay then." He stepped inside the house and he heard the door shut behind him.

Harry looked around the room. The house was small, but it was nice and quiet. It seemed like a lovely place. He saw Thea rush past him and disappear down the hall. It was a little unnerving being in the house of a stranger after all he had been through lately.

"Just make yourself at home, Harry!" she called out.

"Thank you," he said. He did as he was told and sat down on the couch. It looked the most comfortable piece of furniture in the room.

Harry took in the rest of his surroundings with a glance. When he reached the point of the room straight across from where he was sitting, a huge lump formed in his throat. There in front of him, was a rocking chair. When the Ministry had raided Snape's home, there had been one very similar sitting by his window. This chair was in the exact same location. It was curious. He was about to get up to examine it up close when he heard footsteps heading back to where he was stationed.

"Thea, I thank you for this, but it isn't necesssary." He rose and turned around...and completely lost his composure.

Harry's mouth fell open in shock. It wasn't Thea who had come back into the room. It was Severus Snape. He looked a little paler than usual, but he seemed to be okay. He was still wearing the same clothes he had on the last time Harry saw him, but most of the blood was gone. It dawned on him immediately. Thea had seen him. She had been taking care of him. In the condition he was in two days ago, that was the only plausible explanation.

"Professor." It was the only word he could get out.

Severus had put on his mask. His expression was completely blank. "Mr. Potter."

Despite the effort to hold them back, tears came to Harry's eyes. "I'm so glad you're here. That you're safe."

"Why? We didn't exactly get along, Potter. Why do you suddenly want to keep me safe?"

Harry stared at him. He thought the answer would be obvious. "Because we got it wrong, didn't we? You were innocent. On our side the entire time. When I saw your memories, the ones you gave to me to help me defeat Voldemort, I was sick. The whole time I despised you, you were risking your life to save me. Now I want to save you."

"It can't be done." Severus swooped a little farther into the room and took a seat in the rocking chair. He was still a little dizzy. "No one would believe you."