14. Snape vs. Ministry

"Don't move!" Kingsley's voice boomed angrily, reverberating through the empty castle.

Harry and Hermione eyed each other worry creasing their foreheads. This wasn't going to go well and they could both feel it. Thea discreetly took hold of Severus's robes and she didn't plan on letting him go. Her face was fearful. After all, she didn't know any of these people. She gazed at Severus. To her amazement, he didn't seem scared at all. As a matter of fact, his face was completely blank.

Severus already had his wand in his hand. He raised his hands in surrender. Kingsley, Minerva, and Arthur looked shocked.

"You're not even going to fight?" Arthur asked in disbelief. When they had told him who he was going to help apprehend, he had been prepared for the worst.

He said nothing, only shook his head. Arthur glanced at the others. They looked as flabbergasted as he was.

"You three, Potter, Hermione, and whoever you are, you're safe now. Come away from him," Minerva instructed.

Thea started to protest, but Harry stopped her. "Go over there with them. It will be better for you that way," he whispered. "You and Hermione. You don't have to be a part of this."

Hermione nodded encouragingly at her. She knew what Harry was doing. He was staying behind. If things got bad, he didn't want Thea in the middle of it. She had taken care of Snape all this time and it was the least he could do to repay her.

"Severus-" Thea started.

"Go," he said simply. His tone softened. "Please."

Thea took a deep breath, then walked slowly over to Hermione. The two of them walked over toward McGonagall and the others. Once they were over there, she stepped protectively in front of them. "Potter, you too. What are you waiting for? You're safe."

"I can't," Harry declared.

She tilted her head to the side, unable to understand why he couldn't move.

"Is he holding you there somehow?" Arthur demanded firmly. "You're not in danger from him anymore, Harry."

Harry didn't move an inch. He wasn't going to leave Severus's side. Not now. Not when he needed him to stay. He may not have said it, but he needed him to stay. As long as he was by his side, no one would touch him. They would be too afraid they'd hit Harry or that Severus would use him as a shield.

"I never was," Harry said. His voice was calm. He held his wand tightly in his hand. It was aimed at no one, but he wasn't about to leave Severus unprotected.

"Harry, what are you saying?" Kingsley demanded. "Have you been Imperiused? Is he controlling you?"

"No one is controlling me, Minister."

Minerva stepped forward. She had seen some strange things in her day, but this took the cake. She looked at Harry closely. He didn't seem to be in duress or Imperiused. In fact, he seemed perfectly normal. "Potter-"

Harry held up his hand to stop her. "Let me explain."

"Someone had better start explaining something," Arthur stated, his tone rigid. Harry had only heard him speak that way one other time, and that was when his children were threatened.

"I will detain Snape first," Kingsley revealed. He lifted his wand and aimed it at Severus. Harry stepped in front of him. He lowered it immediately, confusion written on his face. "Harry, step down."

"Let me explain," he repeated. "Please."

Severus lowered his right hand and placed it on Harry's shoulder. "Why don't let me? It is, after all, my story."