Entry #13: October 10 1991

T'is I once more, speaking to my adorable son from the past.

You know, being so unable to truly see the future of the man you are to come, I have to ask several questions.

...what is it like?

Has life changed from the normal dueling methods that we have today? As in... Are we now on wheels?

You and your StarDust dragon love watching those duels, and when the duelists make some sort of attack combo, you squeal excitedly.

You're a duelist now, aren't you? Even if you aren't, I will never forget how excited you would get every time I brought out your play mat that would eventually call forth your favorite monster.

You always wanted to watch the duels when you found me watching them. Of course, your usual cartoons captivated you like no one's business, but those duels they would air on television just fixed you to your seat.

StarDust curled around you and the two of you watched the duels take place. You didn't care who won or who lost, but you loved it when a big duel star would appear.

Stars that would wait until the last minute to lash out and defeat their opponents. Stars that would take everyone by surprise when they summoned their ace.

You especially loved it when it was a dragon. You would clutch your StarDust plush and your hologram friend, beaming and laughing delightfully.

It always made me smile to watch your reactions to the duels I would put on for you.

One day, when you're older, I'll bring you to a real life duel. We'll bet on who's gonna win, and we'll cheer on the big Stars you loved to watch on television.

....oh, sorry. I got a bit off track, didn't I? Just a father's heart talking through written words...

Hopefully, you'll have the same feelings later on in life if you haven't already, now.

Today was a slow day, and not much happened. You fooled around with StarDust again, and our plans to go to the carnival faded seemingly from memory, as Rex, Roman, and I began to get busier with home jobs and children.

That still didn't stop me from finding a way to delight you, and in doing so, delight myself. This morning, I woke you up like I normally do. You were sitting up in your crib, wide awake.

You were bouncing and singing some sort of song to your StarDust. Truth be told, it was really just babbles and random noises, but you seemed to be talking to it.

"Yusei~?" I had to say your name to get your attention. And when I finally had it, you popped right up and bounced up and down, pulling yourself to your feet.

"Da-ee!" You squealed, "Da-ee! Da-ee! Da-ee!"

I chuckled and pulled you out, bringing you into the kitchen for breakfast. However, this morning was different than most. You kept your plush! And you wouldn't let me take it when I came to feed you your baby food.

You still ate though. Had to force you a bit, but you are your food and it all played out.

The entire day was normal. However, a strange thing happened tonight...only a few minutes before I put you to bed a while back.

...you knew about your mother.

At first, it was a simple game I wanted to play. I took out a picture that I had taken of you when you were born... Of course, before your mother died.

If you looked at the image, you could see your mother's tired gaze. You could see her smile that brimmed with pride and relief. Her eyes had a sad hint to them, as if she knew she were dying.

You were still fast asleep, having calmed down after your birth surprise. The image was the last picture of your mother I had, so I kept it very close.

And today, I decided to show it to you. I pointed to you and asked, "Who is this?"

You started bouncing happily, not knowing how to say your own name just yet, but knowing that it was you I was referring to.

I then pointed to myself. "who is this, Yusei?"

You laughed and clapped your hands.

"Da-ee! Da-ee!" You cheered.

I chuckled and hesitantly pointed to your mother. You took one look at her face and burst into tears.

I put down the picture and picked you up, bouncing and shushing you gently. I rubbed your back and tried to calm you down until you eventually fell asleep.

...you knew about your mother, didn't you? In the very short amount of time she held you in her arms, you two bonded closer than most.

That's truly beautiful, you know?

I am so glad my child is that awe inspiring. It really makes me love you more.

....not that I ever stopped.

Your Loving Father Always,

Damon Fudo