Grateful. She sighed. If Asair is really dead. She ran her hands along her white pajamas, stopping to inspect the embroidered W on the chest pocket. The same W logo also adorned the towels and toiletries. "Do I have any other clothes to change into?" She shifted the subject.

His mouth spread with a mischievous grin. "You're going to love the T-shirt I bought in the gift shop. It screams demon slayer." He stepped away, returning a moment later with a large shopping bag. His eyes held a glint of amusement.

"Where did you get money for all this—clothes, a hotel suite? How did you even check in without ID? Do you have a credit card?" She knew Dax had spent time on Earth, but she didn't know exactly how much time; he seemed at ease in her realm.

"We have Tari connections in every city bordering the oceans and seas. It's easy to get what we need. Money, cell phones, a warm place to stay..." He nodded toward the bag. "Or a memorable souvenir."

"What exactly did you get me?" She peered inside. Not too bad: a black sports tank, matching shorts, and yoga pants—nothing to warrant that teasing grin.

She pushed aside the white tissue paper, finding a neon pink shirt; screen-printed across the front was a trolley car inside a big white heart. Printed in cursive, the words I left my, curved over the top of the heart, and beneath the pointed tip, in San Francisco. She eyed his perfectly plain gray shirt, dark wash jeans, and designer belt. "How did your wardrobe get out unscathed?"

His cheeks flushed. "I borrowed a few items from the hotel's lost and found. You wouldn't believe what people leave behind."

Thief, Asair's voice hissed through her thoughts.

She clutched the shirt to her chest as sparks tripped along her fingers. Spinning to face the mirror, she expected to find the demon but found only her troubled expression. As she set the bag on the counter, her hand trembled.

"What's wrong?" Dax touched her wrist, and she snapped back as if pricked by a flame.

"Nothing." Her voice held an edge she hadn't expected.

His gaze narrowed. "You can't hold anything back from us. We all want to help." He cocked his head to the side. "But you need to share your feelings. For some reason, I'm unable to connect with you."

She swallowed the lump creeping up her throat. "What do you mean?"

"Whenever I try to connect with your seam, I'm met with darkness."

She squeezed the counter, her knuckles matching the white marble. The seam stitched along her soul wove together the light and dark parts of her. Dax could guide her to the light when darkness called, but not if he couldn't see.

Inhaling slowly and exhaling, she tried to steady her rapid breathing. Again, she considered telling Dax the truth, but what would she say? Oh, by the way, maybe there's a demon inside me; he's eavesdropping on our every word. There wasn't a scenario where this wouldn't end badly. "There are things I need to deal with on my own. Even if the Etlins strip out Asair's memories, I can't erase mine. I took a life."

"I would never blame you for his death. You can let me inside."

Denial was the other possibility for her fractured thoughts. You acted in self-defense, she reminded herself.

Still, a boy had died. She traced the edge of a floor tile with the tip of her toe. "You may think Asair deserved it. Maybe he did. But I have to live with my actions."

Dax nudged her hip. This time, his touch ignited the familiar tingly sparks which fluttered her heart. She wanted to fold into him, collide with his energy, and forget this madness.