Reality

Back to present day.

Alden felt impatient. Antagal ng tao sa loob ng phone booth. He wanted to find out if the owner of the voice is really her, the love of his life who left without saying anything. He was composing a very long litany inside his head, he thought of enclosing her small frame in a very tight hug, kiss her forehead, her eyes, her nose her cheeks before capturing her soft lips. He will set all her reasons of leaving aside, he just want to hug her  and kiss her right now. 

"Surprise!"

"Louise?"

"Hi baby, gulat ka no? I'm supposed to call you but I think your number is still not activated. Buti na lang, para mas surprise. 'Lika dun tayo sa coffee shop sa labas, I want something warm."

"Wait, Louise, baby. May hinihintay lang ako..."

"That can wait! Hindi mo ba namiss ang fiancee mo?"

"Louise..."

"Nope. Tara na. I haven't seen you for weeks. I want to spend my whole day with you."

Louise, his fiancee, had changed her hair color again. Before leaving New York, she asked him if she looked pretty in red hair. Alden just smiled. This has become a habit of her ever since they moved in together in an apartment in Manhattan. He totally forgot he's already committed to this woman who was linking her right arm to his left. Why? Alden thought. I just want to see her again. Alden tried to look back, almost breaking his neck, but the woman inside the phone booth is still not out. Louise's fast strides did not help at all.

"What do you want, baby?" Louise's chirpy voice snapped Alden back. They were standing inside a coffee shop playing a jazz tune.

"Okay lang ako. I ate with the clients na kameet ko kanina sa kabilang restaurant."

"Okay, bakit nakatambay ka ba dun sa phone booth? Hindi mo na lang hinintay na maactivate ang number mo so you can call. Sino bang tatawagan mo?"

"Si Derrick sana, I bumped into him earlier. Inaya ako lumabas, update ko sana siya na okay lang. Wala naman akong gagawin after this meeting."

"Can I join you?" Louise gave her a puppy-eyed look and pouted. Alden pinched her nose.

"It's a boys' night out baby. I'd rather have you stay at the condo that I'm renting. Besides, kakadating mo lang di ba? May jet lag ka pa."

"Hmmm. Ang sweet talaga ng soon-to-be husband ko." Louise laid her head on Alden's shoulder, the same way Maine did two years ago while waiting for their isaw and betamax to be grilled. She would kiss his shoulder, and Alden would kiss her head and smell her sweet, vanilla shampoo.

He was still looking outside the coffee shop just in front of the restaurant where he had been, uttering a silent prayer that he would come out.     He can't take this anymore.

"Baby, may naiwan ata ako sa kabilang restaurant. Babalikan ko lang."

"I'm done na wait--"

But Alden is already dashing outside back to the restaurant. He knew that he just had to be with her. He's ready to drop everything and take her back in his arms. She's the only girl who made his insides flutter. It never waned even after 2 years had passed by. Just hearing her voice earlier, all the old feeling came back, and Alden is nothing but ready to embrace it back again.