Chapter 16 - Witches and Maids

Chapter 16

Witches and Maids

"How?" the Doctor asked looking between the two.

Shakespeare and Ailia didn't answer as Martha glanced at the psychic paper, "No, it says so right there. Sir Doctor, Martha Jones. It says so."

"And I say, its blank," Shakespeare insisted.

"Pyschic paper. Um, long story," the Doctor turned to Ailia, "I'm sorry, but what?"

"I was in a play," Ailia said slowly, tilting her head, not understanding what he didn't comprehend.

"But," the Doctor started and Shakespeare interupted.

"The answers simple, really, she tricked me," Shakespeare admitted, rubbing his brow with his hand as if the thought gave him a headache.

"How?" The Doctor asked again.

"I wish I knew myself, Sir. Doctor," Shakespeare shook his head, and looked at the Doctor, "You were saying."

"Oh, yes, how I hate starting from scratch," the Doctor shook his head, putting the paper away.

"Phychic. Never heard that before and words are my trade. Who are you exactly? More's to the point, who is your delicious blackamoore lady?" Shakespeare asked.

Ailia raised an eyebrow at the man, turning towards him, "Excuse me?"

"What did you say?" Martha questioned at the same time.

"Oops. Isn't that a word we use nowadays? An Ethiop girl? A swarth? A Queen of Afric..." Shakespeare got cut off.

"I can win you in a fight," Ailia remarked as Martha said.

"I can't believe I'm hearing this," Martha gaped.

"It's political correctness gone mad. Um, Martha's from a far-off land. Freedonia," the Doctor said.

"And that was rude in Freedonian terms, Shakespeare," Ailia shook her head disapprovingly at the man.

A man comes barging in, "Excuse me! Hold hard a moment. This is abominable behaviour. A new play with no warning? I demand to see a script, Mr Shakespeare. As Master of the Revels, every new script must be registered at my office and examined by me before it can be performed."

"Tomorrow morning, first thing, I'll send it 'round," Shakespeare answered.

"I don't work to your schedule, you work to mine. The script, now!" the man ordered.

"I can't," Shakespeare caught himself shaking his head and looked up at the man.

"Then tomorrow's performance is cancelled," the man states sourly.

"It's all go, 'round here, isn't it?" Martha comments

"I'm returning to my office for a banning order. If it's the last thing I do, 'Love's Labours Won' will never be played," those were the sour man's last words as he left the room.

"Well, then... mystery solved. That's 'Love's Labours Won' over and done with. Thought it might be something more, you know... more mysterious," Martha says to the Doctor as Ailia walks toward the door, an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Screaming from outside only confirmed it.

Ailia was the first one down the steps, rushing out to see the sour man spitting up water.

"It's that Lynley bloke," Martha states.

Wonderful information, Martha, but really. Now's the time to point out who it is, the guys dying, Ailia internally rants as she moves closer the man.