Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to need your number again Jesse. Father got a hold of my phone and deleted all my contacts." I said and Jesse's head snapped back around to look at me, before something seemed to click for him and he gave me a slow smile that practically melted my heart every time I saw it. I could feel a confused smile spread over my own face without my permission as I looked down at him and he hooked a finger in my shirt and pulled me down for a slow kiss.

"I missed you too." Jesse whispered against my lips and I smiled as a weight seemed to be lifted off my shoulders.

"Ew. Break it up." Sebastian said as he walked in the door, Julian following close by. Julian looked at us all on the couches before he snorted and dropped down onto the floor between us all and laid down. His shirt rose up, revealing the smooth skin of his stomach and I smirked as Sebastian's eyes dropped to it before he glanced away again and walked into the kitchen, a light blush staining his cheeks.

"Ryder, you're fifth wheeling so hard right now." Julian joked and Ryder rolled his eyes.

"Now that you and Sebastian are here, I'm actually seventh wheeling." Ryder replied drily and we all jumped as a plate or something similar was dropped in the kitchen and we could hear the following choice curses.

"Sorry!" Sebastian finally called and Julian rolled his eyes, shaking his head in amusement and blatantly ignoring Ryder's comment.

Another knock on the door came seconds before it was opened, and I could hear Jayden talking someone's ears off as they entered the hallway, before his voice came to a complete stop as Jayden caught sight of Xavier and Miles.

"Miles is going to rip you a new one if he wakes up there." Jayden said and Parker peeked around the corner at us from behind him. Xavier rolled his eyes.

"Pfft, whatever. I could take him." Xavier replied, before a mischievous gleam entered his eye and a slow smirk lit up his face as he realised what he's said.

"Do you mean you could take him in a fight?" Jayden asked hopefully.

"Nope." Xavier grinned. From where I was sitting, I could see Julian make a face and mouth 'ew' at the ceiling.

"I sent Logan a text, he didn't reply again. I'm assuming he can't make it. Neither can Chris or Luka." Sebastian said as he wandered back into the room with a sandwich, breaking up the awkward tension.

"Well of course Logan can't make it with his mother in hospital." Jayden said absentmindedly before paling and clapping a hand over his mouth. We all turned and stared at him.

"What?" Jesse asked, frowning. Jayden stared at the ground, his hand still clamped over his mouth.

"You might as well tell us everything now. You've already put it out there. It's too late to take it back now." Sebastian said from the doorway, and everyone stared at Jayden expectantly, waiting for answers. He sighed, clearly debating what to tell everyone.

"Logan's mother is in hospital. He's never at school because he's working full time to pay her medical bills." Jayden said to the quiet room.

"How do you know this?" Parker asked curiously.

"Shit. Does Chris know? Man, he's going to be so pissed that Logan's been keeping that from him." Sebastian exclaimed.

"I ran into him while I was at the hospital with Luka, and no. Chris doesn't know." Jayden replied.

"Can we do anything to help him?" Julian asked.

"We could chip in money each week. Regardless of whether he has to pay medical expenses, he still needs to buy food and pay bills. Maybe we can take some of the stress off?" I suggested before a snuffling sound drew our attention back over to Miles, who was slowly waking up in Xavier's arms.

"Where ab I?" Miles mumbled, looking around at all of us blearily before looking up at Xavier and frowning.

"By all that is holy, what the fuck happened to your face?" Jayden exclaimed, moving forward to inspect him, while Parker, Sebastian and Julian crowded around as well, leaning over each other in an attempt to see his face. Miles whimpered, still looking disorientated and pushed backwards into Xavier in an attempt to get away from everyone else. Xavier grinned, securing an arm around Miles' middle.

"I don't think it's clicked for him yet." Jesse whispered to me and I chuckled as Sebastian whistled appreciatively and moved back to give him space.

"That's a beauty, Miles." Sebastian said, and my attention was pulled away from the group when Jesse grabbed my hand, pulling me off the couch and out of the room while everyone was distracted. I followed him, confused about what he wanted as we moved past the hallway and into the empty kitchen.

"What – mmph." My words were cut off as Jesse rounded on me with intense eyes and pulled me in for a hard kiss. After a minute or two, we pulled away, panting heavily and Jesse sighed and dropped his head onto my shoulder, snaking his arms around my waist. Without hesitation, I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed and we stood there quietly for a while, content with the sounds of occasional laughter from the living room floating in.

"What are we going to do?" Jesse asked, his voice muffled by my shoulder and I pulled back to look at him.

"What do you mean?" I asked and he sighed, pulling back so he could look at me.

"What are we going to do about us? With your father being... how he is." Jesse said carefully and I shrugged, smiling at him as I reached out to tug playfully on a stray blonde curl.

"We're going to do whatever we want. I'm not going to be living in that house forever, and let's face it. Even if I did, he wouldn't be around very often. We'll work around him and we'll be fine." I replied, smiling. Jesse nodded slowly before sighing again.

"I just... I don't want to get in the way of you and your father's relationship, Todd." Jesse said quietly and I laughed, surprising myself with how bitter it sounded.

"There's not a lot to get in the way of, Jesse," I pointed out, "Besides, he's got to learn to accept me sometime. Better now than never, right?"

"I guess so." Jesse said, looking up at me sadly. I smiled at him again, pulling him in for another slow kiss.

"Look, I love you, alright? We'll work it out, and everything is going to be fine. I promise." I said softly, and a small smile appeared on his face before he looked away, shrugging nonchalantly.

"Alright... I guess I love you too." He replied and I felt my eyebrows rise up into my hairline.

"You guess?" I asked slowly and saw Jesse's smile broadened into a full grin before he could look down, hiding it. I narrowed my eyes at him. The little shit was teasing me.

"Well, if you're not entirely sure, I guess I don't have to put much effort into sneaking out and seeing you all the time." I said, shrugging and walking out of the kitchen, my own smile emerging at the sound of Jesse's footsteps following me out into the hall. His hand caught mine and I found myself spun around and pushed back until my back was pressed against the wall, before being kissed into breathlessness.

"I know. I definitely know I love you." Jesse whispered against my mouth and I smiled, silently pulling him closer. We were going to be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess what guys? This is the end of book one. As sad as I am to say good-bye to my babies, it's time to move on :( Unfortunately, I can't continue the plot with the limited information that Todd and Jesse know at the moment, and the story must go on. 

I've gone back and read through it, and I'm reasonably sure that I haven't left anything on a cliffhanger, or left anything unexplained. If you think otherwise, feel free to message me. If I agree that it should have been explained in this book and I've forgotten about it (not left it to continue with the plot in the next book/s) I will write another chapter for this one to tie up any loose ends. I'm pretty confident I won't have to though. 

If you're still interested, follow me over to book two for another cliche, which is called The Things We Do and can be found on my profile ;) <3

xXxChrisisxXx