Chapter Nineteen

TODD'S POV

I scowled through the window at Jesse looking for something to wear to his date with Doug. I can't believe he's moved on so quickly. Clearly what we had didn't mean all that much to him if he's already going on a third date tonight. Jesse left the room and I flopped backwards onto my bed, glaring at the ceiling.

Out of all the people he could have moved on with, he chose Doug? I mean, really? Doug? He's the most annoying little brat and is worse than Kyle with the way he goes through guys. Kyle is bad, but at least he sticks to guys. Doug doesn't discriminate, and he works the shy, insecure look with puppy dog eyes like a weapon.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure I saw him making out with one of Jennifer's friends behind the bike shed at school yesterday. I mean, the only other redhead that attends the school that I can think of right now is Miles, and I highly doubt he's going to manage to get with anyone anytime soon - which means that it definitely had to be Doug.

Clearly, I need to step in and save Jesse from getting his heart broken. He'd be shattered if he knew what Doug was doing behind his back. The only problem is that I don't think Jesse would welcome me stepping into his relationship. Not after the way I treated him. I can't let this go though. I'd never forgive myself if I let Jesse get hurt and I could have done something to stop it. Besides, he might be grateful.

My lips twitched upwards into a smile as I let myself indulge in a sneaky fantasy of Jesse being so grateful that I saved him from a terrible relationship that he rewarded me with kisses and –

Jesse's door opened again out of the corner of my eye and I snapped to attention again, licking suddenly dry lips as he entered his room with a towel around his waist, clearly fresh from a shower. I tilted my head as his phone rang and he bent to pick it up from his bed, one hand clutching his towel to himself. His voice was too quiet to hear what he was actually saying but I smiled at the sound of his voice. He's so cute.

He turned slightly towards the window and raised his hand, letting go of the towel to run his fingers through his damp blonde curls. I held my breath, knowing that one sharp move could send the towel to the floor and I'd get a full frontal view.

The sound of Jesse's laughter drifted through the window and I let out the breath I was holding as his hand dropped back down to hold on to the towel again. I frowned, trying to figure out if I was disappointed or relieved. Jesse laughed again and I scowled again. I was an idiot to turn him down. He could be laughing and getting ready to go on a date with me right now, but no. I had to be a moron and ruin it.

I realised I was glaring at the roof and that Jesse had gone quiet and snapped my head around to look through the window. The damp towel was draped over the bottom of his bed and Jesse was combing his curls in front of a mirror behind his door, fully dressed. Dammit. I missed it. I glared, suddenly feeling the urge to mess those curls back up by spreading my fingers through them, preferably while pulling him into a kiss.

Jesse glanced at the watch on his wrist and grimaced, throwing the comb on the bed and picking up his phone. He glanced around and patted his pockets before leaving. I inched closer to the window, watching as Jesse left the front door and unlocked his car. I jerked backwards out of sight as he suddenly looked up at my window with a frown. I stood there for a few seconds; embarrassed at being caught watching him. The sound of a car being started prompted me to look back out and I watched with a frown as Jesse backed out of his driveway, and drove down the street out of sight.

Picking up my phone, I sat on my bed, scrolling through my contacts. Lying down, I pressed the call button and raised it to my ear and listened to the ringing.