"I'll prove myself professor. I'll do my absolute best and bring our team to the upmost standard you've held Oliver at," I said.

"How's the team looking?" She asked.

A small frown faltered onto my face.

"We could do better that's for sure," I admitted. "I think everyone's just so concerned with passing their exams."

"Everything going okay?" She asked.

"Just trying to keep my head in the game with everything that's happening here," I said. "I should get back to work and strategize."

Minnie sends me a wide smile. I exit her office and make my way to the Gryffindor common room.

****

"I've only just found out the final lineup for Slytherin," I said. "Looks like last year's Beaters, Derrick and Bole, have left now, but it looks as though Montague's replaced them with the usual gorillas, rather than anyone who can fly particularly well. They're two blokes we know very well Crabbe and Goyle."

"We do," said Harry and Ron together.

"Well, obviously they aren't bright enough to tell one end of a broom from another," I said, "but then I was always surprised Derrick and Bole managed to find their way onto the pitch without signposts."

"Crabbe and Goyle are in the same mold," Harry assured me.

"I know," I said. "I also know they'll ply dirty so watch your back."

I could hear hundreds of footsteps mounting the banked benches of the spectators stands now. Some people were singing, though I could not make out the words. I was starting to feel nervous, but I knew my butterflies were as nothing to Ron's, who was clutching his stomach and staring straight ahead again, his jaw set and his complexion pale gray.

"It's time," I said in a hushed voice, looking at my watch. "C'mon everyone good luck."

My team rose, shouldered their brooms, and marched in single file out of the changing room and into the dazzling sky. A roar of sound greeted us in which I could still hear singing, though it was muffled by the cheers and whistles. The Slytherin team were standing waiting for us. They too were wearing those silver crown-shaped badges. The new captain, Montague, was built along the same lines as Dudley, with massive forearms like hairy hams. Behind him lurked Crabbe and Goyle, almost as large, blinking stupidly, swinging their new Beaters' bats. Malfoy stood to one side, the sunlight gleaming on his white-blond head. He caught my eye and smirked, tapping the crown-shaped badge on his chest.

"Captains shake hands," ordered the umpire, Madam Hooch, as Montague and I reached each other. Anyone could tell that Montague was trying to crush my fingers, though I did not wince. Instead I squeezed back which let him wince.

"Mount your brooms," Madam Hooch said.

Madam Hooch placed her whistle in her mouth and blew. The balls were released and the fourteen players shot upward; out of the corner of my eye I saw Ron streak off toward the goal hoops. I saw Harry zoom higher, dodging a Bludger, and set off on a wide lap of the pitch, gazing around for a glint of gold; on the other side of the stadium, Draco was doing exactly the same.