Riley

"I'm so afraid of losing something I love that I refuse to love anything."

***

After school, Evan drove me to his house so we could work on the project. His house resembled a mansion, which is why I gave him an unbelieving believing look, expecting him to say "just kidding".

"What?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows.

I gulped, "you live here?"

"No Santa Claus does," he replied

"I knew it!"

He rolled his eyes, "Riley, do you really not get sarcasm?"

I glared as we got of the car heading over to his house.

He entered with his keys, I went in looking around. It was very simple and classic, but the marble floors and paintings surely made it worth millions.

We passed through the kitchen and I noticed a women there, probably his maid, "Lily this is my friend Riley we're going to be working on a school project upstairs." He told her. My heart skipped a beat when he addressed me as his friend. Did this mean I was one step closer to him? Progress!

Lily smiled at me, almost surprised that he actually brought a girl home, "Alright I'll prepare dinner, you're staying for dinner, right?" 

I looked at Evan unsure of what to reply. Was he okay with me staying for dinner? Well, he did say I was his friend. Or was he just saying that?

"Don't look at me, the more the merrier I guess." He said looking away.

I smiled back at lily, "sure."

Then we headed upstairs to his room. I took a deep breath before going inside. What was his room going to be like? Was it going to be painted black? Was he secretly a nerd? Was it possible that he was a drug dealer of some kind? I immediately scratched that thought away, Evan wasn't like that.

He twisted the door knob and I entered. I was surprised to see that it was like nothing out of the ordinary. Just a simply bed, desk, and a closet.

"Classic," I said my eyes wandering around,

"Thanks?" He said coming out more of a question.

I noticed there was a small object lying on his bed, but he quickly hid it. I furrowed my eyebrows waiting for an explanation, but I never got any. We sat on opposite ends, a table separating us.

I got out my worksheet from before and we begun working on the assignment, both of us silent for the most part. Evan put on reading glasses, I was surprised that he needed them. Needless to say he did look attractive with them on. Although we sat on opposite ends, at some point our faces would get close, only inches apart, making it harder to concentrate. Unlike Harper, my shy and sarcastic personality made it hard for me to get close to guys, making Harper my only best friend. I wondered how many girls Evan has been with? Of course I couldn't be the first girl who's been in his room, or could I? I suddenly felt the sudden urge to know more about Evan, to unravel his personality. What kind of past did he have? What did he think of me? Sudden questions started flying in my mind, but I managed to draw them away and focus on working. In about an hour we were done, and I lazily knelt back, my back attached to the floor.

Evan looked at my neck, "what?" I asked curiously.

"Nice necklace," he replied. I looked at my rectangular necklace that contained a very special photograph inside, I wore this necklace for as long as I could remember, I opened it staring at the photograph inside as memories came flooding through my mind.

Evan moved closer to me, sitting beside me. I knelt forward removing my back from the floor.

"Boyfriend?" He said looking at the photograph of me putting my arm around a redheaded boy who looked a few years older than me.

"What? No, that's my brother." I spoke.

He smirked, "Cute."

I whacked his arm lightly, "shut up."

It was then that I realized how close our faces were, his jaw was was defined, and his face looked very symmetrical. I could feel his breath on my neck, I knew I had to move back, but I remained frozen on the spot. When he realized I wasn't going to move back, he did getting up, "Well anyways lets head down for dinner," I nodded following.

What was that? So freakin embarrassing. Probably the closest I ever got to a guy in my 17 years of living. He knew I wasn't moving back so did that mean he thinks I like him now? Was I just indirectly rejected? Un-freakin-believable.

Lily welcomed me again as I took a seat on the very long dinner table. Dinner was simply spaghetti and steak, which tasted amazing, almost making me forget about the awkward scenario before. Neither me or Evan spoke a word, but Lily told us multiple stories making us both burst into laughter. After dinner he offered to drive me, I told him I was fine, but he was persistent. So here we were in an an awkward silent in his car, the street sounds blocking our thoughts.

We reached my house, I was surprised he memorized my address, "I had a good time," I said turning to face him.

"Yeah me too." He said turning to face me, although I couldn't read the expression on his face.

We both stayed quiet, was that it? I got out of the car before heading into my house "It was nice being friends with you," I spoke through the window, the wind flying my hair into every direction.

He grinned, "I'll see you later Riley." He said as he drove off.

As I walked through my front door, I was unable to erase the plastered small smile on my face.