Chapter 47: Sakura

Start from the beginning

The two brothers don't seek pity; they seek remembrance.

I shook off any thoughts about my former teammate and looked back at Itachi. He was emitting more emotion and expression than I thought him to be capable of.

Though the questioning look was in combination with a look of tiredness.

My eyes narrowed analytically, my mind fixed on that fact.

He was tired. Though the dark circles under his eyes could've gave that away.

I blinked and maintained a smooth expression as my thoughts raced.

Honestly, I think Itachi was emotionally drained. Dozens of possible scenarios flitted through my mind before I shut them all out.

I didn't know much of his past, and I certainly had no business trying to analyze him.

But his haunted, tired, shadowed eyes sure as hell motivated me.

Immediately, I threw a bright charming smile his way.

"Sorry, I was a bit distract-," He cut me off.

"I bear a resemblance to him don't I?" He sighed, looking up at the ceiling.

I froze for a second before maintaining my earlier composure. I took a breath to speak when he started again.

"You don't even have to say it. The pained look on your face when you meet my eyes says it all." Itachi spoke eloquently, in an almost amused tone.

"Well I mean when a teammate stabs you in the back and ruins everything you've ever known, seeing a nearly exact replica of him might bring back memories." I finished in a clipped, almost hurt tone.

Silence met me.

I rubbed my temples and sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, it was inappropriate of me." I bowed my head, cursing my lack of discipline. For Kami's sake, I was trashing his younger brother to his face!

I looked at Itachi and he had a hint of a smile gracing his features.

"That might've been the first honest thing you've said since you've been here." Itachi remarked.

"Thank you." I sighed, holding in any questions that were threatening to bubble out from my lips.

"Though you are deceitful most of the time." He noted, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Way to ruin the moment." I muttered.

"Did I ever say that was a bad thing?"

That question rang in my ears long after it had been spoken. It didn't need an answer.

I continued with monitoring his vitals and doing all the post op tests. Though, judging by his lack of Sharingan, I'd have to do an eye exam after he rested up.

Knowing full well how Uchihas were stubborn, I knew he would put up a fight if I suggested sleep.

I injected him with an agent that would let his body take some rest, and within seconds he was under.

His body relaxed visibly, showing the difference between him on guard versus his actual vulnerability. His muscles relaxed and remained slack.

It was odd to think that even with me, he had his guard up.

Looking away, I sighed at the future prospect of being tortured for what I just did. Itachi Uchiha will not be a happy man when he wakes up and finds out I knocked him out without his consent.

His dark circles proved that he wasn't able to sleep properly and for whatever reason, didn't plan on doing so.

I grabbed a blanket from a nearby cabinet and covered him, taking care not to jostle him. Placing a seal on him, it glowed and became in sync with his own body functions. Quickly I placed an identical seal to my own forearm.

If anything were to go array, I would be the first to know, if not feel. An example if his heart would give out again, I would feel the same pain, though it would not affect me the way it would him.

Normally, this technique would be used in coordination with teaching med students the idea of empathy, not just sympathy alone.

Here, it would let me know even in sleep, if Itachi was okay or not. It would allow me to be entirely sure of Itachi's condition before moving forward. Itachi's death was something I would not want to be blamed for.

Again, family members shouldn't treat patients, they often become irrational.

Sparing one last glance his way, I crept towards the door. Making sure Itachi was stable and asleep with a brief look, I proceeded to eavesdrop on Samantha and Kakashi's conversation, staying within Itachi's room and listening through the door to avoid suspicion.

Well I wasn't exactly eavesdropping since they were the ones who were loud talkers.

I closed my eyes and focused.