XXIV.

Trey.

 I was mind blown at how the small hospital room had gone from being filled with Megan's painful screams to being filled with the screeching cries of a newborn being taken from his mother's cozy womb. I remembered when Genesis was born. My happiness went beyond words, but I didn't shed a tear once her little body was placed into my arms. It must've been the fact that I had a little boy, a mini me, my legacy that made a few drops of water trickle from my sockets. Or maybe it was the fact that I was just tired of holding in my emotions. Either way, I was happy to finally have my little man in the world. But there were still thoughts that clouded the back of my mind that I couldn't push away no matter how hard I tried. The doctor placed Tristan in Meg's arms and it was as if she wasn't even in pain anymore. It was something I'd never be able to understand; how a woman could smile through her pain.

"Oh my God. Look at our baby." She whispered as she held her son close. Clutching his little finger intro hers. She was in awe at how something so small and so precious had been made by her. She felt like she had finally done something right. Megan looked up at me and held her arms out for me to take Tristan from her arms again and I did so, hesitantly. I stared down at him. His eyes were closed and his body was small and pink. Smiling slightly, I rocked side to side and kissed his tiny nose allowing him to squirm in my arms. 

"Why don't you look happy?" Megan asked just above a whisper. I wasn't trying to look unhappy, but I guess my face read that I had other things on my mind.

I was silent for a moment as I continue to stare at Tristan "He's mine right?" I thought, but soon realized I had said out loud. Megan stared up at him with a pained and shocked expression.

"Excuse me?" she asked causing me to look over at her. My heart rate sped up a little. I thought I might be going crazy and she could read my thoughts, but I knew by her face that she had heard me loud and clear.

"I just want to be sure." I said wishing I would've chosen my words better.

"You aren't sure?" Megan asked with a laugh of disbelief. I could hear the hurt in her voice and I was really hoping she wasn't taking what I was saying personally, but I knew in the back of my mind that she was. Who wouldn't. "So what you want a paternity test?" she asked.

"It wouldn't hurt." I told her as I placed Tristan in his bassinet. Megan's face flooded with tears. "Why are you crying?"

"Can you get out?"

"Can I get out?" I asked pointing to his chest. "What do you mean can I get out?"

"I'm tired and since you're not sure if he's yours or not, I don't know how comfortable I feel with you being around my son."

"Are you serious right now Megan?" I asked, my blood was beginning to boil and I really didn't want to remember this day for anything except the day Tristan was born, but here we were. 

She didn't say anything.

"What if I say no, I'm not going anywhere?" I challenged. "As his father, I don't have to leave."

"You just questioned your wife about the paternity of your son. But now you're his father? You're contradicting yourself Tremaine."

Megan picked Tristan up and placed his tiny sleeping body in her arms. She couldn't stop her tears from falling, but she smiled through them as she watched him sleep.

"You're taking this the wrong -"

"Trey, please." She pleaded cutting me short.

I went to grab TJ from her arms, only for her to gently pull him further into her. My heart dropped to my knees and I looked at her, but her eyes wouldn't meet mine.