IV.

Lauren.

Alysia walked out with the last of Megan's things just as my new room mate was waltzing in. She was about five feet, five inches, beautifully chocolate with long black hair that may or may not have been weave; she was gorgeous either way. She smiled at me before dropping her bags on what would now be her side of the small dorm room.

"Hey." she greeted with her hand extended. "I'm Melissa. You must be Lauren."

"I am." I said shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you. You're really pretty."

"Thanks." she blushed. "So are you."

I offered to help her put her things away and organize her side. I didn't have much else to do. I didn't have many friends anymore and didn't really want any. Alonzo was behind bars, Megan hated me, and the baby that I would have had by Alonzo, was gone as well.

With trying so hard to hide the pregnancy, then trying to figure out how I would tell him about it, then him snapping out on me about it, and finding out about what he did to Megan I was beyond stressed out. But I couldn't say that I wasn't happy about losing it, as horrible as that sounds. God was sparing me and that was the only explanation I was going with.

"I think you should reach out to her." Melissa said as we folded the last of her clothes. I didn't even realize that I had told this girl entirely too much, but I felt so much lighter. I haven't had someone to talk to in so long. "You were her first friend, right? I'm sure that she will understand that you made a mistake and if he did do what everyone is saying he did to her, she might not even take your thing with him into consideration anymore. As long as it's really over."

"Oh I'm more than completely done with his crazy ass. I don't even know what I was thinking. They seemed like everything I wanted on the outside. I had no idea he was that bad."

"You should have realized something when he did what he did with you." she reminded and I got quiet. She was right.

She noticed my silence and I saw her face flush a tad. "I'm sorry." she said. "That was really blunt. I didn't mean-"

"No." I laughed. "That's exactly what I needed. Thank you."

Melissa.

I sat around for hours talking to my new room mate, Lauren and I had to admit she was really cool girl. I was kind of iffy at first, because I had heard that she was a year ahead of me, and I thought she'd feel superior, but I could see that this might be the start of a very nice friendship.

I checked the time on my cell phone and saw that it was a little after seven o'clock. I tapped Lauren, who had fallen asleep on my bed and let her know that I had to leave and would be back later that night. I grabbed my purse, coat, phone and keys heading toward the door.

•••

I knocked on the door before stuffing my hands into my coat pockets to protect myself from the late April air. The door swung opened and I was greeted with the scent of fried chicken and a warm smile.

"Hey. Did you catch the bus? I would have come to get you." she said as she pulled me in and wrapped her arms around me.

"No, it really wasn't a long ride from campus, Sin. Relax." I assured with a slight chuckle before planting a soft peck on her lips.

Sinai and I had met a few months ago at the children's clothing boutique I work at in the mall. She was shopping for her daughter and she and I clicked instantly. I'm not even sure how we got to this point. I've never had a girlfriend before or talked to another woman on that level. I guess she was just really persuasive, but I'm not opposed to trying new things.