25.0 Another Night on Mars

Andromeda was on guard duty, as she always seemed to be these days. Like yesterday, the forest was quiet like taking a deep breath before plunging into a lake. She didn't stay too far away from camp. She was close to the gate and listened as the hundred were continuing preparations for the coming attack.

She heard someone come up behind her and didn't turn to see who it was, having a feeling she knew exactly who was coming to talk to her.

"Anything?" he asked her.

"Nothing," she sighed, "It's been two days. Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared them off for good."

He looked at her sideways, "You believe that?"

Andromeda shook her head, "I never was an optimist."

Bellamy turned around as he kept talking, "Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gun powder if he gets some more sulfur and Raven says she can turn that into more landmines so careful where you step."

Andromeda smirked, "Saying you'd miss me?"

"I didn't say that," he laughed, "But what I really need is a hundred more of her tin can bombs so I can roll them into their villages and blow those Grounders straight to hell."

"Any word from the Ark?"

"No. Raven says there's radio silence"

"They finally ran out of air."

Andromeda sucked in a deep breath thinking of her father and Alden, "Sometimes I wonder if that was better than Grounders cutting them up to little pieces... We're alone. No one is coming down to save us."

Bellamy was saved a response by a shout from within the camp. They both looked at each other before sprinting inside of the walls. When she entered the camps she saw the smokehouse consumed with flames. Coming out of it, was a coughing Octavia. She and Bellamy pushed through the crowd to get to the girl. They hauled her away from the heat and sat her down on a nearby seat. Andromeda rubbed the girls back as she tried to breathe.

"Anyone hurt?" Bellamy asked Octavia.

She shook her head no.

Murphy, who Andromeda had been sitting next to, jumped up and attacked a boy who was standing by the smoke house.

"This is all your fault! We told you there was too much wood!"

"Get the hell away from me!"

Bellamy quickly stood up and separated the two.

Andromeda kneeled in front of Octavia, "Are you okay?"

Octavia was finally beginning to draw full lungs of air, "Yea I'm fine."

"What happened?"

"Del is an idiot," she said before shouting up at Bellamy, "Bell, now what the hell are we going to do? That was all of the food!"

There was nothing that any of them could do. They all just stood around the fire and watched their means of survival burn and turn into ash. After the fires had subsided, Andromeda stood around the wreckage kicking bones and ash around to find something salvageable.

"Any idea what happened," Clarke asked her as she marched up to her.

Andromeda clenched her fists, "Octavia said that Del kept feeding the fire. Mostly," she said through gritted teeth, "because she told him it would be a bad idea. I swear Clarke half of these kids are idiot. Natural selection better hurry up with some of them."

"Andromeda," Clarke said sharply.

She only sighed in response and waved her off.

"Bellamy says we have some wild onion and nuts in the drop ship but it's only enough to maybe last us one or two weeks. What's left here?"