The Mysterious Call

Across the table sprawled a map of Earth. The little, underground room was mostly empty except for the rack of weapons and the table. It was dark, not nearly light enough for a human to see. But it didn't bother the prince of the Empire of Shadows, Sajen Kasin.

He studied the map, knuckles leaning against the table. Thirrin, the younger sister of Tilan Romaen, stood next to him. The two sisters had a remarkable resemblance, with the same pasty skin and white hair. But there was one major difference: Thirrin had chosen Sajen's side. And Tilan had not.

"The rebels were last seen near the human city of Oakville," the prince said, making a mark on the map. "They somehow slipped from my men's notice. There doesn't seem to be any pattern in their movements, nor any specific location."

"Sire?" Thirrin asked in a young, but strong voice.

Sajen straightened and took a step to the side, motioning towards the map. "Please."

"What if we're going about this the wrong way?"

The prince raised an eyebrow. "Elaborate."

Thirrin let her arms fall and she rested a hand on her sword. "I know Tilan has always loved to plan ahead, but what if they are not able to? They don't know where we are or how we're trying to find them. They could be making it up as they go along." She pointed towards the area where the Empire was located. "Obviously, Ravlynn and the dragon keeper were first spotted here. And they escaped from the Empire with the help of the rest of the rebels. The group then went to the safest location, up in the dragon's rift." Thirrin moved her hand to point to the rift. "When you attacked, they escaped and your spies spotted them in Oakville. That was the last time we saw them. You've sent out scouts to numerous known rifts, most of them presumably safe to the rebels, but so far have come up empty. What if they're not trying to go to a rift?"

"You think they're hiding out on Earth?" Sajen inquired seriously.

"Possibly. It was just a suggestion," Thirrin said, straightening again.

"A plausible one. Any more ideas?"

Thirrin blinked at him. Her eyes darted away. Sajen watched intently, looking for the usual signs of a new recruit. She was experienced, especially having come from the desert colonies. But missions with royalty were nerve-racking for warriors with even the strongest skills.

The female elf's eyes remained steady, brown and barely wavering from their intense gaze on the table. Her shoulders were straight, but relaxed. Sajen spied her fingers, though, as they tightly clutched the sword's hilt. She was tense under the pressure the prince had put on her, even if she hid it well.

"What if they found a place to hide on Aldenuur?" she suddenly suggested.

Sajen flicked his eyes back to her face. The warrior glanced in his direction and seeing him not make a move, she quickly explained.

"We've searched all the possible rifts they could have gone to in the short amount of time they escaped the Empire up to now. All the possible rifts we know."

Sajen narrowed his eyes. He noticed her fingers clamp harder.

"An unknown rift?"

"Earth is a large place; it's possible that we haven't documented every rift."

The prince took his place over the map again, Thirrin quickly getting out of the way. Sajen's eyes wandered over the grooves in the paper, searching for any clue that would indicate a rift.

"We would need multiple keepers to find any unknown rift," Thirrin commented grimly.

"I want men to sweep every city within a ten-mile radius," Sajen ordered. "Have it done by the end of the night."