The Prisoner

Ellwood and the cloak-clad dungeon guard traveled through the tunnels of the sewer for only a minute when they came across an ancient section. Before the dungeons under the palace were built, different dungeons were connected to the sewer tunnels. These were shut down, though, due to the guards complaining of the constant stench. Queen Elora once laughingly told Ellwood that it was more likely the wives of the guards convinced the king to build new dungeons. Ellwood didn't blame them. She would have hated to have a husband coming home smelling like sewage, too.

The dungeon tunnel didn't have a river full of waste flowing through it, though the odor glided through it easily. Barred cages hugged the sides. The last one held the prisoner Ellwood was so interested in. The spies had caught him just a little after Sajen sent him out; merely minutes. It was the first time they had been able to intercept a message from Sajen to... well... the spies weren't entirely sure. Ellwood had theories. None could be proven, though.

The shadow elf was sitting with his back perched against the wall. He wasn't shackled – Ellwood insisted on that. The man was well-kempt, too, as he was allowed to bathe himself regularly.

"Hello, Nosaan," Ellwood said. She stood in front of the cell with her hands clasped in front of her. The cloaked elf stood a foot behind her.

Nosaan bowed his head slightly and said, "Princess Ellwood."

There were a few things the princess had to come to notice about Nosaan over the past week the spies had had him. For whatever reason he had come to work in Sajen's personal array of men, he was still respectful towards Ellwood. He always called her by her proper titles such as "Your Majesty" or "Princess Ellwood."

Secondly, Nosaan truly believed what Sajen did was for the better of Aldenuur. Ellwood didn't know why her brother was doing what he was doing. Even with her allies the pixies, who were notorious for being sneaky, they couldn't piece together his sudden desire to kill all the bonded small creatures, nor why he was so intent on hunting down the rebels.

"How are you being treated?" Ellwood asked him.

"Fine as I can be while being kept prisoner," he responded.

It was a dance, this conversation. They had the same one every time they say each other. After greetings, the princess would ask him how he was doing. And he would respond with what he already said.

"Do you wish to know any news from the outside?" she questioned.

Nosaan huffed a little. "Your dungeon guard keeps me well-informed, thank you. I never thought I'd become friends with someone keeping me prisoner."

"The last thing I want is for you to suffer, Nosaan," she told him genuinely. "Is there any news you wish to tell me?"

Nosaan held her gaze. "I am sorry, Your Majesty. I don't know why you are so against your elder brother, but I will not tell you the message he sent me out with."

"Will you tell me who the message was to be delivered to?"

"No, m'lady."

The princess sighed. "Nosaan... I have refrained from telling you something for as long as I was able. I admire your loyalty, but certain events have forced my hand. I'm sure you have heard many stories about the mysterious hacker who killed all the bonded creatures with their keepers?"

Nosaan slowly frowned. "Why do you bring this up?"

"My brother, for all the strategic battle plans in his brain, isn't smart enough to have done this crime firsthand. But... he had an accomplice."

Nosaan frowned.

"But maybe "accomplice" is too strong a word," Ellwood continued calmly. "I believe prisoner is more accurate. And unlike you, this prisoner was barely fed, didn't have any cushioning in his cell, and had little to no contact with anyone but his captor: Sajen."

The princess watched as Nosaan's expression changed from confused to angry to puzzled. He looked up at Ellwood with a creased brow, hurt reflecting in his eyes.

"You lie," he said. "Prince Sajen would never-"

"Try to eliminate a species? Like how he's planning on invading Earth with the First Rank?"

Nosaan broke his gaze again and continued shaking his head. "I don't believe it."

Ellwood carefully lowered herself until she was level with the other shadow elf. "Nosaan, I am doing everything I can to stop my brother. He wants to kill all the Earth humans, or make them his slaves. I'm sure he doesn't care either way as long as Earth is his. I don't know why he's doing it, or why he killed all those small creatures. But that's where you come in. I need to know the message he gave you. And where he sent you."

The prisoner didn't answer. He just stared at the floor with a frown, shaking slightly.

"Nosaan," Ellwood said, voice louder than the quieter tone she had been using.

Nosaan shook his head. "I don't believe you."

"Listen to me, Nosaan. Sajen will stop at nothing to see his goal reached." Ellwood felt someone touched her shoulder, but she ignored it. "I need to know the message."

The pressure became stronger. Nosaan turned away.

"Nosaan-"

"Princess," a low voice said.

The girl tightened her jaw and let the cloak-dressed elf pull her up. With a tight grip, he led her out of dungeon tunnels. Ellwood forced herself to relax and she brushed away the other elf's grasp.

"Did I come off too strongly in there?" she asked quietly with a twinge of embarrassment.

"You started off nicely," the dungeon guard said. "But you tend to get worked up when it comes to your family."

She groaned and ran her hands over her face. "He'll never open up to us, will he?"

The elf gave the tiniest of chuckles and pulled the hood down. Underneath, Ellwood could see the face of an elf just a little older than her. His black hair was shorter than most, only falling shaggily across his forehead and not going any further.

"Ellwood, you have to have patience. Besides, can you really blame him?"

"Yes," she responded.

"Well... that was not how I was hoping you would respond."

Ellwood felt her lips turn up a little. The guard looked at her for a few moments and seemed to be about to say something, but hesitated.

"Stannis, what is it?" the girl questioned.

Stannis blinked a few times before saying, "You'll... you'll be safe, right?"

"No," she responded. "I'll be on Earth trying to find my banished brother to protect him while my other brother tries to find him to kill him. So I doubt I'll be safe."

"Right, okay. Stupid question. Just... don't get into any fights you don't have to. Okay?"

The princess smirked, placing a hand on her hip. "I'm sorry, but have we met?"

He laughed and pulled her into a hug. Ellwood wrapped her arms upward around his shoulders.

"I'll try not to," she promised in his ear.

"You better," Stannis retorted.

The two pulled away. Stannis brought up her hands and pressed his lips to them. They were soft and cold. He formally stepped backwards, then, and bowed deeply.

"Princess Ellwood," the dungeon guard said.

She gave him a curtsy. "Meaningless guard under my rule."

He her a wiry smile, then flipping up his hood, walking back to the dungeons. Ellwood turned on her heel and strode in the opposite direction. Time to go find Ravlynn.