8 || smoke and fire

EIGHT || SMOKE AND FIRE

Word got out that the wife of a billionaire was fatally injured. Many came to visit her in the days that followed, bringing bouquets of lovely-scented flowers and get well soon cards. However only a handful of them were genuinely concerned for her health. The rest came with exquisite gifts to bribe Ian and my father into a deal with their companies.

As much as these people annoyed me, I tried to keep a smile plastered on my face as I thanked them and bid them goodbye.

My mother was getting better—according to the doctors. But she still had many wounds to heal and had to stay in the hospital for at least two months more.

I canceled some of my plans and lessons for the next few months to accompany her. She was incredibly weak and could barely manage to talk, let alone smile. Every movement pained her, and even though she tried to keep a straight face, I could tell that it was an extremely difficult time for her, physically and emotionally.

Mum's relatives and I took turns looking after her. I went in the afternoon to take over Aunt Olivia's morning care, and Dad came in the evening. Ian tried to come during his lunch break. However, he couldn't stick around for long—he always had to rush off again back to the office. Sometimes, he never came in the day. I could not blame him for that, even though it made me a little disappointed that I got to see him less each day.

To my surprise, Raymond swung by quite often. The first time he had come by was to tell me that the results on whether I was to be shortlisted for his uncle's play were to come out the next week. He had then stayed for awhile more before leaving.

He came during the day when I was usually with my mother. Even though I told him that it was not necessary, he still brought me packed lunch. I was extremely grateful for his company. Most of my friends came in the evening just before my father took over.

Today marked a week of my mother in the hospital. She was growing stronger day by day, and more and more light returned to her eyes. She could speak a few words before she grew tired and fell back to sleep again, but the doctors said that she was going to be just fine in the end.

Lancelot drove me from my dance studio to the hospital.

"Aunty Olivia," I greeted quietly with a smile on my face, careful not to awake my mother. "Did you get to talk to her today?"

My aunt's eyes flicked towards her sister fondly. "We exchanged a few words. How was your dance practice today?"

"Good." I replied and sat on a chair.

We continued our conversation for awhile more before Aunt Olivia took her leave. I waved her goodbye. Once she was gone, I took my mother's hand, which was still freezing cold, but warmer than yesterday.

"Hey mom, I'm here," I whispered softly, just like I had done when we had talked to her during her concussion stage. "Everything is- "

And just then someone else entered. At first I thought it was Aunt Olivia, coming back to retrieve something she had accidentally left behind. But as I lifted my head to greet her again, I realised that it was not someone I knew, or even recognised.

It was a girl, with warm chocolate brown eyes and golden-brown hair. A pair of black-rimmed glasses perched on her nose. She was definitely older than me.