6 || secrets

SIX || SECRETS

I recounted everything that had happened to Ian. He did not seem too happy about it.

"Dianna, you can't keep it from him forever. You have to tell him," he frowned and put his car keys back into his pocket.

"I didn't say it was forever. Just... until I get to know him better." I argued uncertainly, then bit my lip. "Anyway, how is he doing? He seems to be enjoying himself."

"It's his second week, and I haven't gotten any negative feedback from anyone so far," Ian commented. He opened his mouth to say more, but was interrupted by the little 'bing' sound from his phone.

His lips curved slowly into a smile as his eyes read the message. It wasn't one of those 'I earned tons of money' smile, but a rare, warm smile Ian saved only for the ones he truly cared about.

His fingers flew over the keyboard as he typed a reply.

"So, who is she?" I raised my eyebrows and gave him a teasing smile once he had put his phone aside.

He didn't bother hiding the slow blush that spread across his cheeks. "Her name's Erin, and she's just a friend," he added defensively.

"Just a friend, huh?" I winked. "Does Mom and Dad know? When are you gonna ask her out?"

Ian turned redder. "I just met her, Di."

"Uh-huh." I said. "So what?"

"So I can't ask her out yet, obviously. Besides, I'm too busy right now. I should be the one asking you the question. Everyone knows you've got a soft spot for Tristan."

I choked on my own saliva. "What?"

Now it was his turn to smirk. "Come on, admit it. You've got a thing for him."

"And why would you say that?" my heart pounded against my ribcage. I didn't have a thing for Tristan. I couldn't.

"Because no girl would beg her brother to give another boy a job. You like him, admit it." Ian stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I squirmed uncomfortably, desperate for a change in the subject. "I'm going for an audition this Friday."

Ian was unfazed by my feeble attempt, but he didn't press. Instead he eyes sparked with interest. "Oh? Live theatre?"

"Yes."

"You haven't done that in awhile."

"Yeah, but I'm gonna give it a shot. It's on Aladdin." I said.

"That's cool. I'll send you to your audition."

"You don't have to. I can get Lancelot to -"

Ian waved me off. "I will send you there."

For support. Ian had always been the one to drive me to my auditions, no matter how busy he was. I had nothing against it, and was usually glad for the support. But I hadn't been to an audition for quite some time, and since Ian was just taking over the company, I felt bad to make him leave work earlier because of this. However, once Ian set his mind to something, there was no point trying to argue with him.