7 || never enough

SEVEN || NEVER ENOUGH

Needless to say, I avoided Tristan as much as I could for the next couple of weeks. It was weird, really — I had almost become accustomed to thinking of him after my activities, wondering if he was alright and doing well. Almost.

Thank goodness for that.

Once or twice I found myself driving towards Ian's office after dance, but after the realization struck me I made an instant U-turn and drove in the opposite direction, trying to ignore the pull in my chest.

It was a good thing I hadn't become too used to seeing Tristan. I would have missed him a lot more than I was now.

"Think about it, Dianna. I can't say he definitely won't hurt you, but I think you should reconsider. After all, you still haven't told him it was you who got him the job, it's the least you can do for him — he wouldn't want this to all be based on a lie." Kara said matter-of-factly after dance. "You can say your goodbyes after that."

Kara had a point — I had left Tristan's life without so much as a goodbye to him. It wasn't ideal, but it was for the best. If I had said anything to him, he would have had even more questions.

"I know, Kara, but I'd rather leave him like that, happy and satisfied, rather than crushing his pride. You know what I mean." I replied while opening to door to my car. "You know boys and their egos."

Kara's brows furrowed. "This isn't about boys and what they think. It's about Tristan."

"Yeah, but– "

My phone started ringing. I held up my index finger and mouthed 'one sec' before I picked up the call.

"Ian? What's up?"

"It's mom." Ian's voice on the other end froze me in my tracks. His tone was alarmed, worried.

"What's wrong?" my heart palpitated even faster against my ribcage. "What about her? Is she okay?"

There was a pause on the other end of the line. It felt like after an eternity for me when he finally spoke, his voice cracking with emotion. "Mom got into an accident — the doctors just called me. She's in the hospital now– "

"But she's okay right? I mean Lancelot in one of our best drivers, it couldn't have been that bad. She's fine?" I said hastily. I felt as if I was going to run out of breath soon.

"Di, the doctors - they said..."

"Said what?"

Each word that came from him next was like a agonizing stab through my heart.

"She might not make it."

π

Each second seemed to pass by slowly as I waited.

Ian and Kara sat beside me the entire time, Kara with her hands clasped around mine, and Ian with his shoulder for me to lean on.

My tears had dried only a few minutes before, but the tightening of my chest remained. The last time I had been in this situation was when my grandmother had been in a coma. I had stayed with her, day and night, talking to her and hoping she would one day miraculously awake from her deep slumber. I had whispered words of comfort to her, telling her about how my day went, about what was happening in school, as if she were still well awake and listening.