3 || birthday

THREE || BIRTHDAY

My mother woke me up on that morning. No, she had not woken me up with pots and pans like Ian had. She had done something much worse.

I let out a shrill scream as shockingly cold water drenched me from head to toe. Water entered my eyes when I opened them, and almost immediately I started shivering. My duvet was wet as well, so there was no point hiding underneath it for warmth. My bare legs kicked off my blanket and I pushed myself off my bed as fast as I could. Water dripped from my hair and my clothes. I was pretty sure that I looked like I had just taken a shower with my clothes on.

"What the fuc-"

"No swearing Dianna! How many times do I have to remind you?" my mother interrupted before I could finish my sentence.

"Mom! What is this all about?" I said in a whiny voice, gesturing at my dripping wet clothes hanging off me.

My mother was one of a kind. Sometimes it was in a good way, sometimes bad. She came up with the best and worst ideas. Like going on a major shopping spree - that was one of the best things any mother could do. But pouring cold, ice cold water over your daughter to wake her up? That was just so wrong.

"Ian told me to do it," she raised her hands innocently. Then she smirked. "I understand why he loves waking you up in the morning now."

I groaned. "I swear I will kill him."

"No need for these ugly thoughts. Today is your birthday! Ian has a surprise for you in the afternoon, so I decided why not do something with you in the morning? Hmm?" Mom suggested. "What would you like to do?"

I had been hoping for some time alone on my birthday, but that rarely happened. My birthdays were never quiet. Everyone in the house was getting ready for the big party the next day.

"Netflix," I mumbled, not meaning for Mom to hear. Unfortunately, her ears caught my answer. Her brows furrowed. "Netflix? You sure you want that, dearie? We could do something else, you know. Visit the Opera House, watch a concert..."

My shoulders sagged. My eyelids had started to become droopy, my brain starting to shut down. What I really needed was some sleep.

As if the word 'sleep' had triggered something in my brain, my eyelids fluttered shut and I felt myself falling, falling, falling -

"Hey, Dianna!" my mother's voice snapped me back to reality. My eyes flew open and I belatedly realized that I was going to hit the floor sideways. I tried to stop the fall, but instead lost my balance and tripped.

"Ahhh!" I cried out, before I hit the floor with a thud. Pain shot up my hipbone to my head. "Ouch," I muttered weakly and took my mother's offering hand.

"Are you alright?"

"No," I muttered, then cleared my throat and raised my voice. "Yes, I'm fine."

A smile flitted onto Mom's face. "Since it is your birthday, yes, we will watch Netflix."

My eyes widened. "Really?"

"Why not? I want to watch Titanic. It is so romantic," my mother gushed like a teenager and clasped her hands together.

Titanic was not a movie I liked, neither was it something I was thoroughly against, so I did not mind re-watching it, so long as I had my chance to pick out a movie as well.

I rolled my eyes at my mother's dramatic display. "Alright. I'll meet you downstairs in five."

Once my mother was gone I switched on my phone and skimmed through the birthday messages from my friends and relatives, sending them a quick 'thank you' and some emojis in reply.