2 || bang dem sticks

TWO|| BANG DEM STICKS

I grinned with pleasure when Ian brandished two pieces of paper. Two tickets to Halsey's concert.

Halsey was my all time favourite pop star. I listened to her songs every day until I had memorised all the lyrics in detail. When I heard that she was coming to Los Angeles, I had begged Ian and my parents to get tickets for me.

Ian had not only bought two tickets to her concert, but as I looked closer, I realised that they were front row VIP tickets.

I squealed and embraced Ian. "Thank you!"

Then I glanced up at him. "Is this supposed to be my birthday present?"

Ian chuckled. "No. I've planned something even bigger than that. Be patient."

I sighed. I knew it was foolish to hope that I had gotten an early birthday present, especially one from Ian. Unlike me, Ian loved to give surprises.

"Don't get too disappointed. The concert is tonight, make sure you find a friend by then." Ian ruffled my hair playfully as he handed me the two tickets.

I frowned. "You're not coming?"

"Of course not. I'll be at work. Dad wants me to take over the business very soon." Ian said.

I had already expected that. Ian was twenty-two, it was not long before our father made him take over the business.

"Okay," I shrugged casually, trying not to look too disappointed. Ian and I rarely got to spend time with each other nowadays. But I tried not to blame him for that. "I'll ask one of my dance friends."

Kara agreed almost immediately. She, like me, loved Halsey. It would be her first time attending a concert. We discussed what clothes to wear on the phone and hung up after that.

"Knock knock," came a voice from the door. I swiveled my head around and saw Mom standing at the door. She had a warm smile plastered to her face, her grey eyes twinkling. She was up to something. Good, probably.

"Hey mom," I greeted. "Ian told you right? I'm going for Halsey's concert tonight with Kara. I'll have to miss dance class with Miss Liz."

She nodded. "Yes, tomorrow you will be having an extra two hours of voice lessons in the afternoon to make up for today's dance."

"Great! So what are you up to?"

Mom widened her eyes and gestured at herself. "Me? Why would I be up to anything?"

I smirked. "Come on, Mom."

She sighed. "Too smart for her own good, my Dianna." I rolled my eyes at that comment, because figuring out that your mother was up to something was not much of a big deal - anyone could do it. "Well, if you really insist, I wanted to bring you out for some shopping. Your father and I have planned the theme for your party this year. It will be a Masquerade, and your little mask you've kept since five isn't going to cover your face this time. So I thought..." she faltered, looking at me with a Small glint of hope.

Some mother-daughter time. That was what my mother was hoping for.

"Yes, of course," I agreed almost immediately. I could use some shopping, too. I had outgrown most of my jeans and shorts but never had had much time to buy new ones.