Chapter26

Owen's POV

A million thoughts go through my head, 999,999 of them negative.

What if it doesn't work, what if it she doesn't understand, what if she doesn't remember, what if? My mind whirls with all the possibilities.
I can't bog this up, I've got one shot. One. I need to save her. I let out a small chuckle to relieve some of the tension as I steel myself to go in.

Her head snaps towards me as my foot is about to touch the forest floor, seperated from the concrete ground by a line of rubber matting. In her honeycomb eyes, I see the gleam of understanding and intelligence I was so desperately hoping for. I hear the snap and snarl of the rest of the pack behind the steel bars seperating her and them, so I can talk to Phoenix.

She barks at them, and I throw a side glance at the rest of the Raptors, they seemed to have calmed down. They turn and scamper off into the woods, probably to terrorise some poor new employee.
Phoenix runs towards me, and I stand my ground. Is she going wild again?

Phoenix's POV

Thank god.... Owen's here. But how do I communicate with him?
He looks nervous. I shake my head and yawn at him. Then I give a gentle croon, the softest sound I can conjure in this body. He relaxes a bit and looks me in the eye.
"Phoenix, can you understand me?" I shake my head yes. He breathes a sigh of relief.
"Can you write in the dirt?" The question slaps me across my face. How was I so stupid? Writing in the dirt. I curse myself, just because I'm 50% Raptor doesn't mean I'm too stupid to see clearly.

I crouch pecauriously on the lush dark earth and use my talons to carve out some words. After I finish, I stand back to look at my handiwork. Owen scuttles over beside me to see what I've written, I gladly make room for him.

Took you long enough to work it out.

He smiles at the words and says,
"Well, you've got a good sense of humour... Is your name Kylie?" Shock courses through me as I hear that name. It's been days, months, decades, since anyone's called me that. In a distant part of my mind, my brain says it's only been a few weeks... But that can't be right, can it?

Owen's POV

Phoenix's pupils shrink immediately after I say her name, and I recoil quickly, thinking that another attack is coming. Inching slowly backwards towards the gate, I signal for Barry to come towards the gate if she attacks.
Slowly, ever so slowly, her head lowers, and her talons clear away the previous words. She sinks one of her claws into the dirt, and scratches out some words.

Yes. My name is Kylie. I need

Her head snaps up halfway through the sentence. Then I see the dangerous gleam in her eyes that only a Raptor can have.

Hey guys, hope you're all enjoying the story, love all your reviews! Also, I'm really sorry because I can't update for the next three or four weeks as I'm on holiday but if I find WiFi, I'll try and write some more of the story x
On a happier note, we hit 20k views!!! Thank you all so much! I genuinely didn't think anyone would even glance at this story, let alone read it! Thank you so much!!! Love you all xx