Chapter Six: Scented

Start from the beginning

I nodded and headed to the next window. Once at the window, I expected to see someone else. Instead, it was him again. He grinned slightly and handed me my orange juice before turning to make my coffee. As he came to the window next, he handed me the plastic with the hotcakes and then another bag which held everything else.

"Have a nice day," he said, smiling.

"You, too," I responded pulling forward. I stopped the car to check the bags and ensure everything was there. A white sheet of paper rested in the plastic bag. Picking it up, I immediately saw a name and number. Without thinking about it, I knew it was his. I chuckled before looking both ways and driving off.

**

"Imma care for you," Vanessa and I sang in unison, as The Weekend sang from the speaker of a phone.

"Cause girl you're perfect,

you're always worth it,

and you deserve it—"'

"Stop that horrible ratchet noise!" Mr. Anderson shouted, slamming the classroom door shut behind him. "Vanessa! Isis!"

I laughed at that and Eve turned her phone off. We knew it'd get a reaction out of our teacher. Mr. Anderson wasn't a bad teacher at all. Not anyone's favorite, but not evil either. My hand lifted in the air as Vanessa and I high fived each other. The teacher was flushed, obviously running behind from the teacher's lounge. We suspected that him and Mrs. Monroe were having an affair. The two always blushed around each other and often had private conversations in the hall. Sometimes, she interrupted class.

The juiciest piece of gossip was that some girl named Beverly had caught the two kissing the janitor's closet.

"First up, we're going on a field trip! So all of your parents need to sign the slips," he said.

I silently pumped my fist in the air, as Nalani brushed past me slightly to toss a pencil at the back of Enzo's head. As if expecting it, he turned slightly and caught it between two fingers. I arched an eyebrow at that. He grinned slightly before easily tossing the pencil back in Nalani's direction.

"Where are we going, Mr. Anderson?" Callie questioned sweetly, tossing her ponytail over her shoulder.

I rolled my eyes at that. Mr. Anderson was one of the six younger teachers in the school building. He had two attractive features and that was about it, but for some reason girls like Callie still went crazy over him. Mr. Anderson had what my sister liked to call a bedroom voice. It was deep and honestly seductive without trying. His voice once upon time had both Vanessa and I squirming in our seats. That had been almost a year ago. Now, I didn't care about it. His eyes were still what got to me. They were a unique array of colors. They were a greenish gold that alternated with his mood. Sometimes they looked more gold than green. That with his tousled honey blonde hair was enough to have girls thinking he was the clichéd, Adonis-godlike good looking.

He wasn't to me. His chin jutted out too far, too square like. He wasn't even "5'7". His nose was crooked like he'd broken it quite a few times. Mr. Anderson was by no means the perfect person that they kept insinuating that he was. Hell in my book, he was alright. His smart mouth and attitude was more than enough to keep me on the edge around him. He didn't like me and I didn't like him. I had a valid reason not to like him. He had no reason not to like me. I had never done anything to him and that was the reason why I didn't like him. I felt like he'd taken one look at me and judged me. Sometimes, he'd pick on me in class and sneer at me.

"We're going on our annual field trip to Yellowstone National Park," he responded. "They've pushed the date up this year, though. We're going in two weeks' time, so get those permission slips signed by Thursday.