Chapter 35

I bolted as fast as I could, out the back door and hidden beneath the shadows of the trees.

I was angry, more than angry. I wanted to be something simple, a werewolf or an elf. But of all things, I had to be a witch, a creature whom no one knows about.

As soon as I woke up this morning from a nightmare, I decided I would run. I wasn't exactly running away, just escaping for a few hours, perhaps a day.

I ran until I couldn't, which takes a while considering my energy level has tripled.

I collapse against the ground, my skin on my knees tearing on impact. I curl up, my head resting on my thighs, letting out a sigh a relief that seems to be carried with wind.

After a moment of just catching my breath and letting my shoulders droop, I untuck myself and fall back onto my bottom.

Deciding I can't get anymore dirty, I fall onto my back, watching the fluffy clouds that litter the sky morph into shapes. It was such a relaxing thing to do, almost like counting sheep.

I close my eyes, not sleeping, just thinking.

I can't help but think of all the power I have. I don't know how to use it, or how to control it. What if I hurt someone? What if I hurt Sam or Tobias?

I cover my face with my hands, trying to stay positive. With no resources other then myself, I guess I'll have to do everything.

Staring at the palm of my left hand, I trace the pattern of lines that indent my skin. Releasing a breath, I stand on shaky feet.

"I want to cast fire,
It is my desire,
Make fire shoot from my hands,
I want to catch fire to this land!" I shout half heartedly, pointing my finger at a pile of moss.

A teeny tiny spark emerges landing on the moss and burning it, but it wasn't a ball, like it was suppose to be.

With frustration, I do it again.

_______________

It's late when I get home, Tobias is standing on the back porch when I appear from the trees. The moon hangs high in the sky, barely covered by a few scattered clouds.

He frowns at me, saying nothing as he leads me inside. He guides me into the dining room, pushing me onto a chair and placing a bowl of steaming soup in front of me.

He takes a seat across from me, folding his arms across the table and tilting his head, still saying nothing.

"I'm sorry?" I squeak, lowering my head under his gaze. Was he upset because I didn't tell him I was leaving?

"I'm disappointed in you, and I'm almost positive this feeling I have is one sided." His frown deepens, leaning forward slightly.

"Huh?" I whisper, confused.

"I thought that we would learn together. I was helping you. When I woke this morning, you were gone. You didn't tell me you were leaving, you didn't tell me you were upset, you didn't even tell me you had a nightmare." In a moment of anger, his fist lands on the table, his eyes blazing.

"No one's ever cared about my nightmares or my frustration or my whereabouts. Sometimes I like to forget that I have a child, and that I'm still young, that I can still travel the world and get a job. That I don't have to carry this weight on my shoulders." My eyes sting with tears, my words sticking in my throat.

Tobias softens, coming around and lifting me onto his lap. "I forget, love. I'm sorry. I care about you. I care about you more then anything. We can travel the world, you can finish your education. And I will help you with this witch stuff, okay? You don't have to run anymore. I'm here, and always will be." I tuck my head in he neck, letting a few tears spill over. "Let's get you fed and cleaned up."

He lifts the spoon, spilling the contents into my mouth, repeating this until the bowl is empty.

He lifts me up like a baby, carrying me upstairs while continuously apologizing.

I'm glad he cares.

(Comment! And I'm trying to get 1K followers. Help me out. (: Happy Reading. -Slushie)