Chapter 5

It was twelve midnight and everyone was asleep except for of the Lauren. She wasn’t sleepy at all. Probably because she slept at the car in the afternoon. But that was not exactly the reason. She couldn’t sleep because she was thinking very hard.

Lauren went out of the house and sneaked into the backyard. She climbed the tree that is right in front of the window of John’s room. She looked at the window. She can see John and Cherry were sleeping. She reached and opened it, not locked. This made Lauren smile. At last it was unlocked! Unlike the door. How was it so irritating! She thought to herself as she went inside the dark room. She crawled near the bed and tapped her brother’s hand. John, being known for a very light sleeper, was dazed when he opened his eyes to see his sister’s eyes, brightly shining in the dark.

“Holy shit.” He whispered, “Lauren, what’s going on?”

“Shh, let’s go out. We need to talk. Now.”

“Something wrong?”

“Shh! Keep quiet!”

They sneaked out and closed the door. John turned to his sister.

“Well? He asked.

“Did you lock the door?” She asked.

“No, why?”

Lauren immediately locked the door and went downstairs as her brother followed behind.

“Lauren! What’s going on?”

“I know who killed daddy! Call the police!”

“What? What are you saying?”

“Cherry, your wife!”

“Lauren! Oh God, you’re crazy!”

“I am not. I saw. After we brought Slurpee! She threw something  to the bridge!”

“Lauren, go back to your room, go!”

“No! You don’t understand! I am not insane! This time I am positive with what I saw. Believe me, I am your sister.”

John was stunned with his sister’s statement. It was odd that she can talk straight and address herself as ‘not insane.’

“What’s going on in here?” Andrea asked, walking towards the siblings.

“Oh God. Andrea, John doesn’t believe me. He thinks I am insane. Can you believe that? So absurd. What the hell is wrong with John?” Lauren said.

Andrea gasped.

“Oh my. Lauren, what happened to you?” John asked.

“I was awaken.”

“Awaken?”

“Yes, awaken. If I didn’t know better, you would be the one insane, my big brother.”

John didn’t said anything. So did Andrea.

“Listen,” Lauren said, “I was awaken when I saw your wife. The look on her face awaken me. Those bloodshot eyes, that grimace. It was the face I had before I shot my husband straight on the forehead. And then I shot my husband’s mistress. It was their fault my only son died. Even now, I will never forgive them. Let their souls burn in hell. How dare he bring that whore at my own home, fucking each other at my own bed was already enough to drive me insane but no, they had to let my own house  burn down to the ground! They started it! I don’t smoke cigarette at all anyway, Pot, specifically. And worse, Charlie, my poor little son, sleeping in his room where hell happened. But since my pot-smoking husband and his bitch was able to save themselves, I took the risk of being insane for life so that I won’t be blamed for their deaths. But acting like a nutcase wasn’t such a great notion because my fiction became a fact. I started seeing things, hearing an infant cry, gunshot and I see fire! And these visions never faded away until I met your wife. Instead of being thankful, I became furious because I lost my vision of my son, Charlie. He vanished. But all memory came back when I saw her face. That look. It was so horrid. I was suspicious of her.”

John didn’t say anything but this time he sank down on the chair.

“Oh good Lord.” Andrea said, making the sign of the cross.

“I will never forgive them, never forgive. I will never at all.” Lauren said aloud to herself.