"And your name is — ?" She asked.

"Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully," said Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly.

DAMN. ARE MY BESTIES SASSY TODAY.

"There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells," Hermione said.

This was true. There wasn't any defensive spells.

"Using defensive spells," Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"This is Defense Against the Dark Arts class isn't it, it's basically in the name," Jake said.

I stifled a laugh at Jake's comment.

"We're not going to use magic," Ron said loudly.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr. — ?" She said.

"Weasley," said Ron, thrusting his hand into the air.

Umbridge, smiling still more widely, turned her back on him. Harry and Hermione immediately raised their hands too. Umbridge's pouchy eyes lingered on Harry for a moment before she addressed Hermione. Shouldn't interfere.

"Yes, Ms. Granger? You wanted to ask something else?" She asked.

"Yes," said Hermione. "Surely the whole point of Defense Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Ms. Granger," asked Umbridge in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but," Hermione began.

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way —" Umbridge said.

"What use is that," said Harry loudly. "If we're going to be attacked it won't be in a —"

"Hand, Mr. Potter," sang Umbridge.

Harry thrust his fist in the air.Umbridge promptly turned away from him again, but now several other people had their hands up too. What the hell?

"And your name is," Umbridge said to Dean.

"Dean Thomas."

"Well, Mr. Thomas?"

"Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it," said Dean. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free —"

"I repeat," said Umbridge, smiling in a very irritating fashion at Dean, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"No, but —"

Umbridge talked over him.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, "but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed — not to mention," she gave a nasty little laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."

"If you mean Professor Lupin," piped up Dean Thomas angrily, "he was the best we ever —"

She best keep her mouth shut about Moony if she knows what's best for her. I will slay a dragon for that man.