"Kiana, are —" Harry began.

"I'm fine," I said coldly.

"Hem hem."

The class was quiet as it entered the room; no one knew how strict this pink toad could be.

"Good afternoon class," she said.

"Good afternoon," the class said clearly uninterested in the woman in pink.

"That absolutely won't do. Let's try it again, this time let's say 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," she said.

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we chanted back at her.

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Did she just say Wands away? Is she mad! I shoved my wand back inside my bag and pulled out quill, ink, and parchment. With her wand she wrote on the chalkboard besides her desk.

Defense Against the Dark Arts
A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather distasteful," stated Umbridge.

I bit my tongue trying not to lash out on her for insulting Moony's teaching.

"It's not our fault that we've had many teacher changes," Jake stated. "And one of our professors did an outstanding job. Remus Lupin taught us many things."

I send him a thankful smile. Thankful that someone could defend Rem Rem in my place. She chose to ignore his comeback and went on with her useless speech. For a couple of minutes the room was full of the sound of scratching quills on parchment. There was a dull murmur of assent throughout the class.

"I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one, 'Basics for Beginners.' There will be no need to talk," Umbridge said.

Umbridge left the blackboard and settled herself in the chair behind the teacher's desk, observing us all with those ugly toad's eyes. I had already read the books she's assigned so I decided not to read. Several silent minutes passed. Next to Harry, Ron was turning his quill over and over in his fingers, staring at the same spot on the page. Harry was 'reading' his first page still. Jake obviously pretended to read knowing Hermione and I would probably just help him most of the year again. Hermione had not even opened her copy of Defensive Magical Theory. She was staring fixedly at Professor Umbridge with her hand in the air. Typical Hermione. I could not remember Hermione ever neglecting to read when instructed to, or indeed resisting the temptation to open any book that came under her nose. Well, I guess that goes for both of us. After several more minutes had passed, however, I was not the only one watching Hermione. It was actually quite entertaining. The chapter we had been instructed to read was obviously so tedious that more and more people were choosing to watch Hermione's mute attempt to catch Umbridge's eye than to struggle on with "Basics for Beginners." When more than half the class were staring at Hermione rather than at their books, Umbridge seemed to decide that she could ignore the situation no longer.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear," she asked Hermione, as though she had only just noticed her.

"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Umbridge, showing her small, pointed teeth. "If you have other questions we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a question about your course aims," said Hermione.

Did Hermione really just say that? Damn Hermione, back at it again with the sass. Umbridge raised her eyebrows.