Open Relationship - Chapter 4

I know this took forever, and it's not the longest, but remember that I'm in school, taking a full load, and school comes first...lol.

Please check out my FB fanpage in the external link ----> and also vote and comment and the end!!! I haven't gotten back much feedback and I'm curious as to what you're all thinking about this one :)

_______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 4

Noah

I was a little surprised by her answer. I wasn’t full of myself, but I guess I was just hoping she would want to be with me regardless. I suppose that was just me being a guy. I was still happy that she wanted to keep seeing each other, even if it wasn’t romantically. The next few weeks were pretty uneventful. I spent a lot of time with Mae, seeing as she was leaving for the next month to see her grandparents in Japan. The day came when I dropped her off at the airport and kissed her goodbye. She didn’t seem too excited to be leaving me here but I had assured her that I couldn’t afford the time off work right now.

It was another quiet Friday evening as I sat down in my living room with the television on as background noise. I felt my phone buzz as I received a text. I looked down to see James’s number pop up.

Tonight’s my sister’s birthday. Would you like to join me?

I thought for a moment, why would she ask me? I knew we had agreed to be friends, but after the awkwardness of the last time we’d seen each other I hadn’t been sure she would ever really call me again. I wasn’t exactly going to turn down this opportunity to see her though.

Sure, where and when?

The reply was instantaneous, as if she’d just been waiting to send it.

Jazz club at 8.

I gave a small smile. It may be too early to tell, but I think I might be able to convince her…

Let the games begin.

James

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” I asked Hollis, putting my phone down on the table and giving her an apprehensive glance.

“Oh please, the last thing you want to do is ignore the guy when you felt something there. Now, Henry told me that Noah’s girlfriend is going to be gone for the next month. Now’s your chance to steal him away!” Hollis laughed and I looked at her, stunned.

“Hollis! That’s terrible! So that’s why you asked me to invite him?” I scowled and she nodded.

“Listen, according to Henry, Mae’s no good for Noah. All of his friends agree that he would be better off with someone like you!”

“That’s not for you guys to decide! That’s up to Noah!” I argued and she shrugged.

“If he really likes you, then he will.” She didn’t clarify when I gave her a questioning look and went off into the bathroom to continue getting ready. I tried to ignore what she had said and get ready as well. Suddenly, I knew I had to try and look amazing tonight. As much as I didn’t want to admit it to Hollis, I really wanted him to be impressed.

It was eight, and Noah wasn’t here yet. Wes had called in some other employees so that we could enjoy Hollis’s birthday. The band had started and we were all sitting at our table with drinks. I was a little distracted though, sending glances to the door to see if he had arrived. “If you keep doing that, you’re going to give yourself whiplash.” Hollis teased and Wes looked over at me questioningly.