Chapter 17

Here we go!!! Lots happen in this chapter so I hope you enjoy and comment!! 

I HAVE to know after this chapter, Team Noah or Team Landon?!?!?! This chapter might change some minds!!!

______________________________________________________

Landon

I couldn’t believe I’d just done that. The second I’d made it back into my apartment, I’d regretted everything I had said to her. I should’ve told her then that I wanted to be with her. That I needed her. That…that I loved her.

What had I done? I’d made such a mess of things. But what could I do if she still wanted to be with that Noah guy? I’d already told her how I felt about it and she hadn’t changed anything, so why couldn’t I just let her go?

Katrina was the perfect girl for me. Successful, sweet, and my family loved her. Why couldn’t I take the easy route.

Because love is never that easy.

I had to figure this out before I made another move though. Did I really want to put myself back into this situation? My phone buzzed. Katrina. What perfect timing.

“Hello?”

“Lanny! Are you busy tonight?” Her bright voice filtered through the speaker. I sighed. I should at least give it a try with Katrina. She deserved that much from me.

“No, not at all. What did you have in mind?”

“Well, I have managed to get you a meeting with Richard Maxfield.”

“What?” I asked incredulously.

Richard Maxfield was a personal hero of mine. He was a doctor who traveled throughout third world countries, helping in any way he could. Not to mention that his family owned the hospital I worked in and plenty of others. A part of me had always wanted to get involved in the work he did, but keeping my job had always held me back.

“Your mother and I ran into him at the bistro this morning and we got to talking. He’s eager to meet you.”

“I can’t believe this Katrina!”

“Meet us at Chez Roux, that French restaurant over on fifth at around eight.”

“I’ll see you there. Thank you so much Katrina.”

“Bye Lanny.”

I let out a breath before heading to get ready. This could be my chance. I didn’t have time to think of James right now…I just couldn’t let it distract me.

James

I dragged my feet the entire way home. I was very confused and unable to even figure out what had just happened. Why had Landon come to my neighborhood just to tell me he was choosing Katrina? How horrible was that? Why would he even bother?

Once I was in my house and had taken a shower, I realized I couldn’t just sit in here. It would drive me mad. I needed a distraction. It was around nine, but I had walked to the jazz club this late plenty of times.

As I passed the night club a few blocks before my family’s club, three guys stumbled out looking drunk already. I rolled my eyes at the idea of already being drunk. Didn’t people have self control?

I continued my steady pace, but felt my heartbeat hasten at the sound of the drunk group following me. I let out a slow breath as I quickened my pace. I wasn’t too far. I reached into my purse and cursed. Where the hell was my mace?

“Hey there! Why don’t you come hang out with us honey?” I refused to turn as the others began their cat calls.

“Wait up, sweet cheeks!” I felt one of them touch my shoulder and I let out a yelp, pulling away. The taller one pulled me against him, his hand over my mouth as they pulled me into the alley. I struggled against them, knowing I was so close to the club, straining to scream to get some kind of sound out. For anyone to help me.