Chapter 1 (The Chase)

Through the mysterious jungle I fled for my life, not paying any attention to my surroundings nor the bright blue sky. I did however notice the blazing hot sun that beat upon my forehead as I ran around hundred miles per hour on the soft soil filled with branches and brambles. I was barely out running the beast and feared my dark green cargo pants might snag on a twig so I didn't dare to look back into it's golden yellows eyes.

I wasn't even sure what animal it was, and I didn't care, all I knew was if I didn't get to the helicopter in time, I would be as good as gone. 

Exhaustion struck me and I was just about to hit the wall when I saw it.

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! The hellicopter. 

I was about nine feet from the chopper when I leapt and landed inside. Chris hovered up almost instantaneously. The beast didn't bother to leap but merely growled at me and scratched it's paw at the ground in dissatisfaction.

"How are you feeling?" Chris asked sounding concerned.

"I'm okay, just a little parched!" I lied. I was a lot thirsty and I wasn't okay, for I had just had a near death experience. My heart was still pumping extremly fast and adrenaline continued to pulse through me.

"Take these!" Chris shouted as he handed me a pair of earphones. The blood in my ear was rushing fast and my heart rate was so high I felt as though my chest would explode.

We had been out in the jungle to find Catherine's necklace. She was my brother's girlfriend at the time and had dropped it while they were on a safari. The very valuable necklace was given to her by Chris and meant a lot to her. Of course this was a difficult mission.

I'm a huge fan of nature and couldn't resist a journey into the jungle. I thought I saw the necklace earlier when I was being chased by the beast but it ended up just being a glare from an old ear ring.

"Hozowokamu. It wasn't the necklace, but trust me, we'll find it!" I reassured Catherine.

"Ugh! You and your Japanese! Remind me what that means again," she pleaded. Her hazel eyes sparkled at me and hinted innocence.

"I've told you a thou-"

"It means terribly sorry, babe," Chris interrupted.

I thought to tell him off but decided not to when I saw the tear in Catherine's eye. She was a bit materialistic and loved the rubies in the necklace; the way it deflected scarlet light when sun light touched it was magnificent in her eyes.

The ride back to the caves was silent. She didn't have to say it but I knew Catherine was emotionally shattered, we came all this way for nothing and we’d already wasted two days. I believe everyone was homesick. 

I wasn't used to the caves after two days since the eerie darkness was lurking with blood thirsty bats. I asked Chris if I could go down to the river we discovered on the first day of our arrival. Of course he approved but cautioned about the climb down.

At first it was a little rough for me to be climbing down the mountain for it was my first time, but about half way down I got the hang of it and was soon using parkour to descend the mountain.

Parkour is a discipline I train that conditions the body to overcome any obstacles in it's path by means of running, vaulting, climbing and wall scaling. It involves balance, agility and strength, so was definitely handy in my situation.

While sliding I hoped over rocks and vaulted roots. When I reached the end I transitioned smoothly into a roll which I came out off casually and began to walk. I had trained parkour for weeks and finally got to do a practical. I felt like a true tracuer - someone who practices parkour - I only wish Chris had seen me.