Chapter Twenty-Four - The Big Bad Vampire Hybrid

"Lizzie, I presume?" a deep voice asked as my eyelids fluttered open. The accent was English, and the voice was one I'd heard before. Father, maybe? Surely not. This voice was much more sensuous.

I tried to sit up, but grunted when I realised that I was chained to a metal table. As I squirmed within the tight grip of the heavy iron, my skin began to burn with a feeling that I knew all too well. A wet piece of rope was whipped across my neck, and I let out a glass-smashing scream.

"Vervain," I choked, struggling even more.

"Just a precaution," the voice assured me - though there was no way that I'd ever believe him. "I'll let you go in a minute, after you answer a few questions for me."

"I'll answer your questions if you answer mine," I challenged.

"And what would your questions be?"

I squeezed my eyes shut, knowingly pushing my luck. "Who are you?"

"I am Klaus," the voice replied simply. "You might've heard of me - I've seen you around with Damon Salvatore. He and his brother must have mentioned me once or twice, surely. I'm the big bad vampire-werewolf hybrid. Now, it's time for you to answer my questions.

"First of all, where's Stefan Salvatore these days? What's he up to?"

This question took me by surprise. I kept my eyes tight shut, my lips parted slightly. What could I say? I couldn't remember Damon ever mentioning Klaus, therefore I was unaware of how dangerous he can actually be. I decided to tell what I knew as the truth - for once I'd like to attempt to save my own skin.

"He's just hanging out with his girlfriend," I muttered. "As well as moping around and being Stefan Salvatore. There's not really much more to it than that."

"Okay," Klaus said, seemingly pleased with my answer. "Next question; what about that witch? Bonnie, is it? How's she? She's alive, I presume?"

"Yes," I gulped. "She's fine."

"How about the doppelganger, Elena? She was saved from death by another Petrova doppelganger that I found in Bulgaria earlier this year, when I was having difficulties with my werewolf side. Lucky girl managed to escape me, unharmed. So, how's she doing? She's still human?"

"Yes," I sighed, slightly annoyed. I'd gotten over the burning sensation on my skin and was now focusing on getting myself out of this place. "She's still human. Still fucking her vampire boyfriend, Stefan."

"Too much information," Klaus said, a smile in his voice. "What you've just told me could change my life, Lizzie. Thank you."

With that, I felt the chains pinning me down being removed. I sat up, rubbing my eyes as soon as the vervain wounds had healed. As I opened my eyes and looked straight ahead, I saw a familiar face staring at me.

"Mr Newman?" I gasped, immediately retreating to the other side of the room and throwing myself back against the wall. "What're you doing here? Where's Klaus? But...?"

"I thought there was something odd about you," Klaus' voice decided. However, this voice was coming from my old English teacher; the one that mother had apparently had an affair with. The one that began the long chain of events leading up to Mum and Dad's divorce. Flashbacks began playing through my mind, but I swatted them away. Now was definitely not the time for me to be reminiscing on the past.

"But I just couldn't tell myself that you're face was familiar," he continued, oblivious to the fact that I wasn't listening. My mind was elsewhere, and I could care less about what he was saying. Who was this guy? Klaus, or Mr Newman? Or maybe both...