Chapter Four - So, He Doesn't Want To Kill Me?

"Stay away from me!" I warned him. "Get back! Stay away from me. Or I'll-"

"Or you'll what?" he teased, winking at me.

"I'll..." Pull yourself together, Lizzie. Think. Come on. This is a vampire in front of you, not an average, defenseless human. Remember what he did to you. He could do it again.

"Tick tock." I looked right up at Damon Salvatore, tucking a loose strand of my blond hair behind my ear, narrowing my eyes into slits and clenching my fists.

"Stay away from me, or I will kill you, Damon Salvatore."

He moved closer to me, his dark hair hanging just above his crystal-like eyes. His gorgeous, sparkling blue, crystal-like eyes. Oh, God. Here I go again. Here's the reason I'm here now. I fell for this prick less than twenty four hours ago, and he hurt me. He wants to kill me. Stick up to this bastard, I told myself. He's a monster.

"And how will you do that?" he asked mockingly.

I thought about that for a while. How does one kill a vampire? I mean. they're already dead, right? So they can't be killed any human way - like being shot in the head or stabbed with a sharp knife. What do the legends say?

Garlic? Well, there's certainly none of that around here.

Sunlight? He's out in daylight now. In fact, I think the sun's just breaking through the clouds. He hasn't caught fire yet. Damn it, that's something I want to see.

 Silver? That ring on his left hands looks like silver, and it doesn't seem to be doing him any harm.

Crosses? I always where a cross around my neck. He wasn't repelled in any way last night, and he's certainly not scared of coming close to me now.

Holy water? Of course. Everyone carries around a flask of holy water, don't they (I thought sarcastically)? I mean, if crosses are cool with them, I don't see why holy water shouldn't be. After all, they're all to do with God and that religious crap.

Wooden stake? Now, here's one I didn't have evidence against. I'm not particularly fond of running around stabbing hot guys with sticks of wood. Although, now that a vampire was apparently stood in front of me, what would be the harm in doing so?

"I'm getting bored here, Lizzie," Damon droned.

"Just shut up," I snapped. "I'm thinking."

Damon laughed without humour. "You never tell a vampire to shut up."

"I just did."

"Touche."

So, what could I do? Damon was obviously becoming agitated, and... Well, and. Who knows what he's like when he's in a bad mood? I expect most of his victims found out the hard way, and was determined not to be added to that very long list.

"Look, Lizzie," Damon interrupted my thoughts. "I'm getting tired of all of this. You're no fun. So, either spill your little plot to kill me, or let me kill you. Either way, it's a win-win for me. I always have the upper hand."

"Why are you doing this, Damon?"

"It's entertaining, my dear friend," he replied plainly. "I get a kick out of it. It's just what I do. It's what I am. It's nature to me. Like when you eat those disgusting things you humans are still permitted to call food. Only, my palette is much more delectable." After a while, he cocked an eyebrow at me. "Why aren't you scared of me?"

"Because you're a prick," I told him sweetly.

"First you tell a vampire to shut up, and now you're calling a vampire a prick? Did I mention I'm around one hundred and seventy one years old? I mean, I gave up counting my age a long time ago, but it's always good to know your own age when some stupid human girl tries to piss you off."