Chapter Nineteen - Relationships Splitting At The Seams

I impatiently rang the doorbell several times.

Jeremy opened the door at last. When he realised that it was only me, he smiled.

"Hey, Lizzie," he greeted. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Is your sister in?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "She's upstairs. With Bonnie and Caroline."

"You mind if I go and see her?" I asked, putting on a false grin.

"Just go on up," he said, stepping aside to let me in. I was thankful that I didn't need to go through the hassle of being invited in. Well, it's no hassle, but you know what I mean. Elena had seen to that the night of the masquerade ball.

I rushed up the stairs to the sound of high voices gossiping at a low volume. I headed on up to Elena's bedroom and kicked open the door.

"You bitch," I hissed, approaching her without caution. "You hurt him. You've hurt Stefan. You cheating jackass. You-"

"Stop right there!" Caroline screamed. I turned to face her.

"Can I help you?" I sighed.

"You will not talk to my best friend like that," she said in a warning tone, widening her eyes. I had an advantage, though. She was several inches shorter than me, and I was constantly looking down at her. That intimidated her slightly.

"I can talk to her however I like, thank you very much," I spat. "She's dumped Stefan for Damon. My Damon."

Bonnie gasped, turning to Elena. "You what?" she asked, astounded.

"I never said that," Elena mumbled. "I just said that I need to think about how I feel for Damon."

"You've had your chance with Damon, you nasty little slut. I've wanted Stefan ever since he moved to Mystic Falls, and you took him. Now that I've got his brother, you're trying to take him away from me, too. What do you have against me, Elena?"

"What's going on in here?" Jeremy asked, walking into the room. "What's with all the shouting?"

"It's nothing, Jer," Elena muttered. "Go back down stairs."

"Too scared to tell him?" I yelled. "I bet Bonnie here doesn't know what went on between you and Damon. Caroline doesn't either. Heck, I bet your own boyfriend doesn't even have a clue."

"W-what are you talking about?" Bonnie stuttered.

I sighed with emphasises. "You remember when Stefan was away with Klaus? Well, while Damon and Elena worked to get Stefan back, they slept with each other. Elena cheated on Stefan, and was too scared to tell anyone about it. And now, she's dumping Stefan so that she can think over how she feels about my boyfriend. She's already taken one guy that I loved. She can't take another."

"Is this true?" Caroline scowled at me.

"What reason do I have to lie?"

"You're lying," Bonnie accused. "Elena would never do something so stupid. Would you, Elena?"

Elena stared down at her feet, her cheeks flaming red. I let a wide smirk spread across my face. "See? She can't deny it. She slept with Damon, and still feels something for him. That's why the two hate each other. Because they can't bring themselves to admit what they've done, and they blame one another."

"How do you know all of this?" Elena blushed, still looking down.

"A little birdy told me," I teased.

"Lizzie," a familiar voice said. I turned around to find Stefan stood behind me. "Come on. You need to get out of here. This isn't right."

He grabbed me by the waist and began to pull me back. "No!" I protested, breaking free of his grasp. I stepped forward and slapped Elena again. But, just as my hand left Elena's face, Caroline grabbed me and bit into my neck. What the Hell?

"Caroline, she's not human!" Stefan and Elena both shouted at the same time. Eventually, Caroline let go of me and stepped back. I wiped my neck with the sleeve of the coat that I was borrowing from Stefan.

"What the fuck did you do that for?" I whined.

Caroline's mouth was surrounded with blood. My blood. What a bitch.

"Lizzie, let's go," Stefan insisted, tugging my arm. I obeyed him reluctantly.

"Stefan, wait," Elena called.

"No, Elena. You've made up your mind," Stefan said, tears making their way back into his eyes. "Come on, Lizzie."

*****

"You did what?" Damon inquired, his blue eyes staring into mine as I walked closer to him.

"I slapped Elena," I shrugged.

"And what on Earth did you do that for?"

"I have my reasons."

"She was sticking up for me," Stefan interrupted.

"And why would you do something that stupid?" Damon snapped.

I didn't want to answer. Did Damon know about Stefan and Elena? If so, then he would perhaps know why I'd slapped Elena. If he didn't know about Stefan and Elena, then I had no right to tell him. Especially when it's not really any of my business. Yet.

"Well?" Damon prompted. "Are you going to give me an answer?"

"Elena broke up with me," Stefan admitted, his green eyes watery.

Damon cocked an eyebrow, his facial expression one of disbelief. "She what?"

"Don't make me say it again," Stefan said.

"So she just dumped you?"

"Do you need to know the details?" I snapped.

"Well, no." Damon paused. "Just forget about it. I'll find out about it all eventually. It'll be public knowledge in the next few days. I will get it out of someone."

I ran up to the bedroom I was now staying in; Damon still hadn't finished cleaning up the other room, and I was definitely not going to help him. As I perched on the end of the bed, I could hear the brothers arguing. The sound was almost deafening. I began to loathe being a vampire. Everything was magnified.

When I was happy, I was overjoyed.

When I was upset, I was on the brink of suicide.

When I was angry, I struggled to stop myself from ripping someone's head off.

I could see things much sharper than I could with human eyes.

I could hear things within half a mile radius.

I could experience what things actually tasted like.

It was a nightmare.

Wanting to take a break from my rather intense thoughts, I changed into some more of Stefan's old clothes and hopped into bed. But I couldn't sleep.

Stefan and Damon's voices were still roaring. Now I could hear the voices of Elena, Bonnie, Jeremy and Caroline. Doors slammed. Floorboards creaked. Glasses smashed.

I curled up into a ball, covering my ears with my hands.

Why did things have to be so drastic? Is this karma's way of telling me that I've lived my life as a crap person? Or has Damon risked everything just to be? Worse yet; have I ruined the life of the Salvatore brothers?

As I tried to sleep, relationships began splitting at the seams.