Chapter 7

remember to vote, comment and share...

happy reading

xoxox.....

The next morning was spent fussing over the ball Dorian was throwing later in the evening. Constance was surprised to find a household full of servants running up and down the hallways carrying boxes and disappearing through a door at the end of a hallway. Dorian had made himself scarce that morning and Constance was glad, she was not sure what sort of conversation she would have with the man who had entered her chambers in the dead of the night with not so much as a sound. He was always unusually calm and nothing seemed to surprise him.

She stepped aside for a man coming her way at lightning speed, 'Constance,' Jasmine called out her name. She was coming up the stairs with a woman on her tail. The woman was carrying a set, one that resembled a seamstress's, 'this is Mary-Anne, she will be making your gown for tonight,' she said once she had gotten close enough.

'I am in no need of a dress and it is not possible to make a full gown by the evening. It is late in the morning.'

'I work wonders Miss,' she contributed. Her voice was coarse like she was used to the bottle.

'Is Dorian awake?'

Jasmine was taken aback by her question, 'Master Dorian left for town early this morning.'

'May I speak with you?' she looked at Jasmine

'Yes of course Miss.'

Constance looked at the seamstress who excused herself discreetly, 'Is there something amiss with Dorian?'

'Whatever do you mean Miss?' Jasmine looked genuinely confused.

'How long have you worked for Dorian?'

'All my life Miss. My Ma says we are generations old in this household and I do not complain. He is unlike other masters. He is not rude and he knows all our names, treats us fairly. I had once left to work for a family n Derbyshire, the master of that household used his servants for their bodies. I left as fast as I could. Master Dorian's father took me back in with no questions.'

'You like it here?'

'Yes Miss, but forgive my boldness but why are you asking me these questions?'

'This manor rises for a few meters, where are the other floors?'

'Through that door Miss,' she pointed in the direction the man that had ran past her. 'Excuse me Miss but I do not understand.'

Constance was not sure whether she would tell Dorian about their conversation so she stopped before she got the woman in trouble, but she had one more question, 'these doors weigh more than any other door I have opened, it takes three of you to push one, how is it Dorian opens and closes them with no effort at all.'

'Miss, master Dorian has lived here all his life,'

'As have you,' she replied. Jasmine looked baffled. She was unable to answer the question. Not sure what sort of excuse would be appropriate and how she would be able to convince Constance it was nothing to worry about.

'Mama,' William came calling behind her, Jasmine saw it as her opportunity to slip away. She would have to find Dorian immediately. He had never schooled her on questions any one would ask because there was never any one in their household long enough to ask any.

Constance was good for her master. He had not run off since she had arrived, save for the one time, but he had explained he only did because he needed to breathe the fresh air of London in the nighttime. He had not hurt anyone and any rage he experienced was immediately dispelled with thoughts of her.