Chapter 3

New update....

Happy reading

PS: share your thoughts on Dorian,....

William was pasted by her side, his fear of the dark not lessening as he grew older. Constance walked slowly towards the windows to let some light into the room, dragging William with her. She opened the curtain and was shocked to find a massive arch window, lined with colored glass at the top. The light hit the window and bent into the room illuminating it instantly. There was no sun in the sky and it was now becoming dark, but the light that was provided was enough to light up the darkness. She looked around the room, taking in its beauty. It was a large room, the size of two she thought. The door was large with the face of an eagle sketched into it. It was the first time she had seen black wood used inside. The rest of the room was mostly space, with a small cabinet at the far corner next to a door that she assumed led to a wash room. A few feet from the window was a large four post bed, with a cloth hanging it at the top acting as a canopy. The posts were made of black wood as well and had the eagle etched in them. The master of the house must like birds Constance thought to herself.

There was a small cabinet by the bed that had a lamp placed on top of it. The sheets were folded neatly at the foot of the bed, leaving the mattress bare. It was looked spongy and comfortable to sleep on. Satisfied that she was not sleeping on a room that looked like a dungeon she made her to the other door in the room and pushed it open slowly. It had a single basin right in the center of it. The walls were painted white and it smelled freshly painted.

She looked around the room once more before closing the door. William was still by her side his thumb in his mouth. She wondered when this habit would stop. 'This is home for the next four weeks,' she said to no one in particular.

As Constance was putting the sheets over the bed, Jasmine walked in carrying a tray and lady behind her with a pitcher of water. Behind them was Cassius with a wooden table and two other men each carrying chairs. They placed them in the centre of the room rather proportionately. Jasmine set her tray down and watched as the lady with her place the pitcher on the table and begin filling the glasses on the tray.

'Please do not mind that,' Constance spoke, but she was ignored as Jasmine stood over the woman and watched neatly place the plate soon the table and carry away the tray.

'Do enjoy your meal the dining area is being cleaned, you shall be dining there from tomorrow Miss.' She left the room closing the door behind her. Supper was delicious. Constance had never eaten a meal so well prepared. Whoever the master was, he was a wealthy man, they had pork and chicken in the same meal. The bread was not the bread she had grown up eating. It was soft and tasted like sugar, not honey, sugar! There were peas and carrots and they had cakes for desert. William had long forgotten his shyness when in new surroundings and had eaten everything on his plate and even called for more. Constance had tried to scold him quietly but Jasmine had insisted she let the boy at his leisure. She insisted the master would be pleased they had enjoyed their first meal.

Satisfied and having put William to bed, Constance lit another lap, that she had requested to be brought to her. She left the already lit on in the room incase William woke while she was gone, he not be too afraid. Confident that he was now safe and comfortable, she walked out of the room making sure to shut the door quietly behind her. She looked down the hallway holding the lamp outstretched in front of her. There was still a mass of darkness ahead of her. She took a few steps then stopped when the floor board beneath her feet creaked. She held her breath, when she heard no sound of opening doors she kept moving. She came up the next door to hers it had the same large feature all the doors she had seen had. The wood on this door looked a little more coarse than the others. She put her hand up to it to touch it and moved it back instantly. The door was cold, frozen. It was not made of wood but rather steel. Constance held the lamp close to the door examining it, it had bolts on either side of it and what looked like bulges. She ran her hand over the bumps on the door, they were placed on the middle end and at the top. She was a woman of a comfortable height but she could not reach that far up. She raised the lamp above her head and noticed there were bolt holes at the top, but they were just holes, no bolts. What could they possibly be keeping inside a room that would cause this much damage to a steel door?