Chapter 6

Vote, comment and share....

xoxox......

They ate in silence. Constance could not believe how crass men could be. They all assumed they were needed. She abandoned the idea of marrying and would begin looking for governess positions. Most women did not mind their governesses having children. It only proved they were capable. It would be different for William but he would have no problem adjusting.

She would have to live the very life she had run from. Her thoughts drifted back to her mother. She as yet t receive any word from her. She has visited the old country only to find their home abandoned and bare, it only meant she had not received the letter. How could she have been such a fool? To neglect her own parent in want of wealth and prestige, it was beneath the lowest of people, but she had done it. She had abandoned the people who would love and care for her no matter what she did. If her mother was gone she was now alone, with no woman to offer her any guidance.

Dorian cleared his throat, but not even that caught Constance's attention. She was lost in thought and distressed. He saw her brow crease and her lips quiver. He stood but even then her eyes remained on her untouched meal.

'Constance,' he put his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him tears threatening to fall. 'What is the matter?'

'Nothing. May I be excused?' she pushed her chair as far back as her strength allowed her and squeezed through the space she had created.

'This is not a prison Constance. If you wish, you may leave food on your plate.' She smiled at this statement.

'I apologize for my behaviour earlier. You are trying to help. William has not had any kind of relationship with a man.'

'What are you afraid of Constance?' his constant use of her name was soothing. She felt vulnerable in this moment. His strong arms encased her and he held her against his chest. His heart rate climbed on beat higher but he was in control of his senses.

Constance felt every muscle in his body, every curve, every turn. She felt his chest rise and fall and heard his heartbeat. She felt at home standing in his arms. He smelt of mint or ginger she could not tell. He was strong and powerful and when he shift his feet so he could lift her off the ground, she felt her heart quicken as his muscles hardened to carry her weight. She rested her head on his chest not wanting to feel afraid or alone. There was comfort in Dorian.

He carried her up the stairs stopping at his door, he set her down but kept her hand in his. He pushed open, seating her on the edge of his bed. Something within him wanted to hold her and comfort her to the point she felt she no longer had to worry. Tomorrow he would host a ball, he hoped Jasmine had done her part and issued out the invitations. London would be eager, no one had ever seen inside the Governal manor, it would be a sight to behold. And the main act of the show would be him descending the staircase with Constance by his side.

No one had ever threatened his family, he did not see why William would try. He knew there were secrets untold, he was a secret untold, but all of England knew was they were powerful, far more powerful than any army. If William knew Constance had found comfort in his manor, he nor his father would do anything.

She sat still her eyes stuck on the ground, Dorian retreated to stand by the door. He did not want this woman to think he was taking advantage of her weakness. The only reason he had chosen his chambers and not hers was William. The boy was young and had already been exposed to far too much.

'Talk to me Constance,' the words sounded more of a command than a request. He folded his arms across his chest putting in full view his muscles that her eyes were now stuck on. His green eyes looking at her with a compassion she was not sure she even recognized. He was a protector and she wished he would hold her in his arms again.