Chapter 5

We get a little more alone time with Constance and Dorian in this chapter....sparks fly...

Happy reading....

xoxox.....

The week passed in the same fashion, Dorian creeping up on her and making small conversation. She had never thought she was capable of falling in love again after what William had done to her but here she was on a Sunday afternoon, praying for a glimpse of sunlight seated in Dorian's study, hoping she would be startled by the mysterious man she was residing with.

She scolded herself for being a silly girl. A man with his looks must have a woman or two tucked away somewhere, if not a mistress that the town knows of, then someone like her whom he kept hidden from the world. He was courteous as he was secretive and there were times Constance swore she had seen him ride off into the night. Not one for fresh air or riding she had never ventured to the small stable he kept on hand.

Cassius delivered the paper daily, there were images of the gala's and balls held every night. The very same people she had ridiculed Jane in front of would now be gossiping about her life. She was a scorned mistress with a bastard son. She was sure William had concocted a tale that would sway any blame from him. Jasper, his trusted friend, had given himself distance from the scandal and found happiness with Camille. They had been pictured looking happier than ever with a child on the way.

Constance skimmed through the photographs and wondered if she would ever be happy again. Jasmine had occupied William all day, every day. She would wake and find him gone. Her son was enjoying his adventures, he had even learned to make bread, a task that was not needed by a man but William was like her in a way. He took pleasure in knowing he had a skill and he didn't need to rely on anyone to perform it. He would make a good soldier. She placed the paper down, tired of feeling pity on her life and turned to the book shelf. She had read quite the master pieces and imagined the thrill of watching a play. She had never found time or was not bothered.

'Good Afternoon Constance,' Dorian's voice came from the hallway. He made sure not to cross the threshold into the study. He was dressed rather elegantly for a Sunday afternoon. His tailcoat and trousers black and his shirt, a crisp white.

'Good Afternoon, Dorian,' she replied. He made no motion to enter the room nor to say anything else. 'I am here hoping for sunshine, I long for the summer,' she offered.

'It is a long wait Constance.'

'Yes,' she had no more to offer in part of conversation and waited for him to state his need.

'Would you like to go out to town with me today?'

'Excuse me?'

'Would you like to go out to town with me today? I imagine sitting indoors is becoming quite the bore.'

Constance opened and shut her mouth a few times, 'I do not mind.'

'But I do. What kind of host would I be if I kept you hidden? I have some business to see to in town, I am requesting for your company.'

'It would be rude of me to refuse,'  she spoke the required response.

'I do not want to know what society requires you to answer Constance. Would like to go out into town with me?'

His eyes dug deep into hers and for a moment she saw red rings around his green orbs. He had stayed still his hands obediently behind his back. 'Yes, I would very much like that.' He smiled, 'wait, what about William, I cannot leave him here.'