15- Water

Anna's POV

As I sat in the room trying to mentally prepare myself for the confrontation, I didn't know what to expect.

The detective said the room would be bugged but my nerves were still on alert. As the door creaked open, I had to control my heart rate which sped up beating like the drums of Tattoo.

I closed my eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and when I reopened them he was standing right there.

Just looking.

He said nothing.

Just stared.

I could see the mirth in his eyes, for what I had no idea, but I know the moment was very tense, at least for me. I was already on the verge of tears, yet he still said nothing.

"Did you ever have any intention of coming home?" Asked a voice from beside me.

A familiar voice.

"Dad." I acknowledged in shock. My heart stopped at the sight of my dad, he rarely left work for anything, yet he was here with me, would it be naive of me to believe he was here for me? He as well as my mother were both in the room, they had even situated themselves in the visitor's chair.

I didn't notice due to the tension and fear elicited by his mere presence. He did this on purpose. He knew my dad was my weakness, he threatened me with him on many occasions, and he's coaxed him into coming here.

"No she didn't. She just ran away after leaving our family's as well as poor Kyle's, here, reputation in shatters. She has no remorse, she has no dignity, and she has no respect for the people who birthed and raised her." My mother said deliberately directing her attention to my father and not me.

"Caroline, stop. Can't you see she's in a delicate condition-"

"Yes I can see," she cut in venomously. "I can see perfectly clear that she's been knocked up by God knows who. Adding yet another disgrace to the family name. And the fact that Kyle here is still willing to take you back, after all of your... your sins! You should be grateful for him." She shouted, this time at me.

I looked at him again almost completely despondent, the way I always responded when speaking... listening to my mother. He was in the corner, still, just observing the whole confrontation with a mirthful look in his eye, as if he was winning some type of race. Just listening as my mother referred to him as some type of God.

I couldn't allow him to control me this way. He brought my parents here to manipulate me.
Even through all of this, I could see that.

I placed my hand on my baby bump for moral support, if this room was truly bugged, and the detectives were true to their jobs, my parents would come out of this thing completely unharmed.

"Dad," I started looking directly at him, "I'm in love and happy. If I hadn't found what I was looking for here, I would have come back... eventually." That was mostly the truth. "He abused me. Bad. You saw it, and please don't tell me you didn't." I gave a dry laugh.

"Remember when I first started seeing him, and you'd always be like 'Something's off with that kid', and I'd tell you you were crazy. You were right you know, I just didn't know how to tell you. But do you know what hurt the most?" I asked feeling the lump in my throat constricting and growing larger. "When you just looked at me, with the tears running down my face, and bruises on my arms, and a hospital statement saying I had fractured ribs," here I looked him in the eye, "and said I was dreaming."

I pulled myself together and said "I would have come back, but what to? A family who believed I was lying, even with opposing proof right in front of them?"