Chapter 23

* Jill’s POV *

-Flashback-

It was Sunday, and I was heading back home from a photo shoot, one that ended earlier than I expected.

As I entered the house, it was pretty quiet. No movements were present. Maybe Jaq’s already sleeping, but it was just 5pm, and I know her shift at the bookstore ends around 3pm during the weekends. As I was heading towards my bedroom, I heard Jaq’s voice, and it seems like she was talking to someone in her room.

I walked closer to her room, making sure that I didn’t bump into anything that would destroy my cover, listening in to the muffled sounds on the other side. Indeed, she was talking to someone. It was not my place to listen in, but something she mentioned got me interested.

Bailey Simmons was mentioned in on the conversation.

Having the door closed made it harder for me to get the whole grasp of the conversation. But I think I may have gotten the important words.

Kidnap. Bailey. Drugs.

Kidnap Bailey for drugs? Why?

Xander. Money.

Xander? How did Xander get involved? Wait, is this why Jaq’s working at the bookstore because Xander owns it and Bailey’s working there?

But why? Why is she after them?

“Please give me more time.” Jaq begged on the other side of the room. I guess the person she was talking to didn’t agree when I heard a groan from her the next minute, and possibly, throwing something on the wall.

The moment I heard shuffling in the room, I moved back as fast as I could and went inside my room. Jumping into my bed and pretended to sleep. I honestly felt like a detective right now.

With closed eyes, I pondered over the words I overheard. Kidnap, Bailey, drugs, Xander, money. Those five words came with various questions.

What the fuck does it all mean? Is this why Jaq came suddenly came back out of nowhere? Has she been dealing with drugs? But how was Bailey part of this when in fact, Jaq knew Bailey only recently, when she showed up?

And I know Bailey - she simply wouldn’t be a part of a drug syndicate.

So how in the world do they all have connections?

A knock on my door pulled my thoughts away as I pretended to squirm in my bed the minute Jaq opened the door.

“Hey, didn’t mean to wake you up.” She said in a sweet voice. Jaq was never sweet or nice to me so this was all new. All these years, she kept on blaming me for being too perfect in front of our parents’ eyes and she hated that I get the attention and all the praises that came with it.

“It’s fine. What time is it?” I asked as she checked on her phone.

“5:35pm.” She answered as I nodded. “I’m going out with some friends.” She said before leaving me dazed on my bed.

Soon, I heard the front door slammed and she was out. I waited for a couple more minutes before leaving my room and heading out for her room. But of course, I had to check the whole house first and see that she was indeed out. It wouldn’t hurt to check, right? I need to act normal out here.

As I have reached her room, it was an utter mess. Clothes were scattered on the floor, on a desk, on top of her bed. Typically in a crime scene, there could be a clue on the drawer beside your bed. As I pulled it out, I saw a black plastic bag containing a box of what seem like a tattoo makeup cover, and a few small plastic with powder substance on them.