Chapter 21

* Bailey’s POV *

Ever since John walked inside the bookstore this morning, he hasn’t left me alone. Like literally. Always on the lookout for me, and it didn’t even matter if I was heading off to the bathroom for a small break. He would be outside the door and constantly, he would ask if I was okay or if there was anything wrong. That if he hears me scream because of a possible spider attacking me, he would probably jump in without even thinking of the costs of breaking the door open. He was overly paranoid that something was going to happen to me. If he only knew what the real deal was, but I couldn’t spare his life for it.

He hasn’t said a word about his sudden actions, just keeping quiet and always spaced out. Well, nothing new on the second one, but I’m quite not used of him not talking. He used to have popped out his comical antics while we’re hanging out. But now, he’s just sitting beside me staring into the thin air, his hands were fiddling at the hem of his shirt.

Something’s definitely wrong with him, but I still couldn’t tell.

Although, I have a feeling Xavier was behind all of these. Could I be out of time? Was he getting bored that it’s been weeks and nothing has happened, other than Jaq is now working at bookstore with me?

He might have threatened John and is now bugging him about me getting harmed. The first time Xavier and I met, he did say that if I didn’t do anything John or Harley, or even Jill could pay up their lives.

“John, are you okay now?” I asked as I watched him intently, shaking his shoulders a bit to get his attention. It took awhile before he looked at me, and he was sweating. His eyes widen at the mere contact of my hand to his shoulder. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

He shook his head and held my hand tightly, assuring me it was nothing. He wasn’t shaking anymore, but I could say he was still traumatized by whatever happened to him this morning. If Xavier was behind this, I… I… have to do something about it.

“Hey Bailey, Xander’s asking if you’re done with the paper work.” Ella came up front to tell me. As I was about to stand up, John took my arm, perhaps he didn’t hear what Ella has said.

“Where are you going?” He asked me. He was too protective of me, it was scary. But honestly, to me it sounded sweet. No one has cared enough like this before I met John. This was all new to me, but I appreciate all his efforts.

“I’m going to Xander’s office. Wanna come?” I asked and he stood up, walking behind me.

Looking over my shoulders, I saw him walking with his head down, and both hands were inside his pocket, perhaps thinking about something again. I stopped walking and he almost bumped me. “Tell me what’s wrong, John.”

He shrugged and still didn’t say a thing. I was so worried about him.

As we opened the door to Xander’s office, he greeted me with more papers on his desk. “I need you to add these ones to that report.”

I shook my head as he pouted. “On one condition….”

“Okay, okay…” He raised his hands giving in to whatever I had in mind. “Just take this math away from me.”

I nodded, smiling sweetly for a job well done. And the fact that I even haven’t told him the condition yet, he submitted to my needs in an instant. “Help me…” I secretly mouthed, and pointed my finger to John’s frozen statue beside me. I guess I didn’t even have to whisper the whole deal as he wasn’t paying any attention to our conversation anyway.

He nodded and I could see it in his eyes that he was also worried of his friend’s state. He hasn’t talked properly the whole day, not even have that jolly attitude that was always present. He was too quiet.