Chapter 8

* Bailey’s POV *

Work has been easy lately, either that or I don’t find it challenging anymore since I have been here for almost a year. The pay isn’t that great, but it’s what keeps me alive, helping me with all the bills and rent I have. Admittedly, I do need to find another job to keep me busy, hopefully fill up my weekends too.

The reason I haven’t searched for another job was because my volunteer work down at the hospital makes me whole. It’s like the family I didn’t have, which makes it harder for me to let them go, but knowing the consequences of it, I had to do what’s best for me right now.

I do love them. I love kids, and I hope in the future I would be able to save up and have kids of my own. They were like a dream to me, something I would want to achieve. Having a family.

Sure, it would be the easiest task to other people, especially if they have found the other person they want to be with. But for me, I’m taking it easy, weighing my priorities, though I know it only involves me. I haven’t experienced taking care of someone in the next level, and I would love it if it was John Pearce.

Heck, even if it’s just in my dreams.

As I was filling the shelves in aisle 10, a young blonde boy suddenly squatted on the floor with a chocolate bar in hand; eating it like no one’s around, being stuck in his own world. Sometimes I just want to be a kid again, just be lazy and worry about nothing, though I knew I didn’t end up that way.

“Hi!” I greeted, as he looked up at me and showed her hands covered with chocolate. His mouth has traces of chocolate as well. I just want to pinch his cheeks.

It was as if I was in a play, thinking about kids one minute, and then the next, a kid appears on stage, making my vision more believable.

“What’s your name?” I asked, but he was too engrossed by the sweetness of the chocolate he was munching on. Observing closely, I think he was about two years old, and whoever kid is this will surely miss him. Glad that I was the one who found him first than some goon after random kids.

Searching into my pockets, I got my handkerchief out to wipe his hands and face. Reaching for his hand, he stood up and went with me. Hand in hand, we walked through the aisles, made our way to the customer service, in case someone has been looking for him, and have told them I was bringing him to the changing room.

Sitting him up near the sink was not a good move as he played with water, nearly spraying us both with it. Instead, I brought him down and wiped his face and fingers with the soaked handkerchief.

“What’s your name?” I asked again, thinking that he would have calmed down but it wasn’t working, maybe he’s not talking yet or something. How young do kids start talking anyway?

After cleaning him up, we headed straight to the customer service area, and there stood a man, waiting patiently for someone to show up.

“There you are!” Colin greeted me as the guy beside him turned around and had a smile on his face. Lenny, omfg.

Of course, I should have known that this little guy was Harley Pearce and I kind of babysat him.

“Bro, this is Bailey. Bailey, this is my other older brother, Lenny.” Colin introduced us though I already know who he was. I’m a fan, yes, and I’m kind of hyperventilating inside my head. He looks so good in person, I mean yes I have met his twin brother but still they’re different.

I’m babbling again, aren’t I?

Shit.

“Bailey?” Colin startled me, waking me up from my dreamy thoughts.