Chapter 16

* John’s POV *

“Congratulations, man! After my four years in business, you decided to visit me. Finally!” Xander cheered as I entered his office at the bookstore where Bailey was working. Though honestly, and I think he knew, he wasn’t the one I wanted to see.

Chuckling, I walked forward and we did that thing called a man-hug before settling down on a chair across from him.

“Yeah, well it isn’t her break time yet so you can’t see my star employee.” Xander commented, though I pretended he was really the person I wanted to visit.

We did a few acts as if he was letting his heart out to me at how touched he was that I was there to visit him. If Bailey walks in, she would probably think we were in a kind of romance and think we’re both gay. Good thing!

“Actually, I was here for you. Don’t deny you didn’t miss me.” I teased as I sent him a flying kiss and he caught it with one of his hands before touching his heart.

“Aww thanks man! You’re the best. But still, I won’t forgive you.” He uttered, sternly as if we just got into a fight, more like a lover’s quarrel.

“I brought lunch!” I said, holding up the paper bag right in front of his face.

His face lit up as he eyed the goodies in front of him. “Got to thank my Bailey for this sumptuous lunch.”

Your Bailey?” Raising my eyebrows, I questioned him.

Surrendering his hands up, he sighed. “Well, she’s my star employee so I could call her mine.”

I simply shook my head.

Xander and I have been friends since freshman in high school. Since then, we may have come up with rules. It didn’t matter if he teases my girls, but Bailey was an exception. When it was Jaq, I was okay with it, but now that it is Bailey, I simply can’t accept all the playful remarks being thrown at her, especially those that involve me.

“Okay, fine. She’s yours.” He uttered as he received the deathly glare I came up with. Almost threatening him to return the box of lunch I bought for him, slapping his hands whenever he touches it. “So… what’s the deal between you two?”

“Still waiting…”

He gasped, eyes widen the moment he heard Bailey still wasn’t my official girlfriend. “Losing your touch, eh John?”

One of my hands rubbed the back of my neck as my mind kept on replaying what he had just asked. If my brain was a computer, I think I may have accidentally pressed the restart button, or my system has just crashed.

“She’s different.” I uttered as I turned into a serious mode, but not comparable to a robot. “Bailey’s different.”

 “True. Not the usual girl you go for…” He commented, stating a fact.

“But….”

“No buts. I think she’s perfect for you.” He smirked. “To keep you sane, and perhaps, tame you a little, party boy.” He laughed.

“And the club owner speaks…” I retorted as he held his hands high again, admitting defeat.

We were then interrupted by a knock on the door. It was probably Ella, one of the other people who work with Bailey. I guess she’s done with her break, signaling that it was now Bailey’s.

As she entered the room, she handed him some papers to sign, talking about some stuff concerning work. She reported the things Xander needs for their monthly reports before heading out back to the store.