➳ (Y/N)

You could see Gray visibly gulping. "That's, uh, not really what I me...ant...." He trailed off, his eyes growing wider as he stared.

Still, you're not sure why he stared with such intensity. It almost made you wish you hadn't started a conversation.

Gray's movements and his speech seemed awkward. You would catch him glancing away to peer at random things, like the ceiling.

You wondered what you had done to become a boring person that couldn't even hold a conversation.

'Okay, but seriously now...'

You watched as Gray wouldn't even hold eye contact, now. His head was practically spinning around as he looked at miscellaneous things.

"Alright...see you, then?" Softly, you spoke, the light Angel Coins jangled in your pocket, making it feel heavier than ever.

"Wait!"

Surprised by his sudden shout, you took a step backwards in surprise. "Uh...okay?" Gray turned red, embarrassed by how loud his voice was.

"Sorry, can you take a quick walk with me?"

___

Walking side-by-side with Gray was comfortable. And so was the silence. You took a glance at the man beside you, his expression was frozen.

"So, what is it?" You asked, the warm sun melting the top of your head. "Is everything alright? This silence is starting to scare me."

You reached out and moved his hair aside, revealing a scar above his left eye from the trip to the Demon Island.

He visibly flinched when you touched him, and you immediately retracted your hand. "Sorry," you laughed and shook your head. "Habit."

Gray smiled, weakly. "Come on," he beckoned, walking a bit closer until he reached a wooden bench overlooking the canal. "Sit down, and let's talk."

Allowing yourself to lazily rest, he spoke again. "I'm dating Juvia, now."

You straightened, immediately. "Seriously?! That's great!" You grinned from ear to ear, patting his shoulder ebulliently.

The thing was, Gray didn't seem so excited. His languid figure shifted on the bench, and his leg was just barely pressing against yours.

"Yup, it's great." He said, devoid of emotion.

"What, I thought you liked Juvia!"

He didn't respond, and only had a faraway look in his eyes.

You calmed down, searching his expression. "I'll be wishing your relationship the best...is that what you wanted to tell me?"

Gray shrugged, and his cool eyes met yours. "I suppose?" He laughed with felicity as you gave him a hard shove.

"Be honest, or else I'm leaving," you halfheartedly threatened. "Sorry, I guess? About touching your face, earlier. I only live with siblings, so I do it on accident."

"Oh, that?" He murmured, "don't worry about that. Juvia will only half-kill you."

You sighed, happily, "I know, right? She's probably the best girlfriend, though, isn't she? I'll bet she makes delicious stuff and just pampers you."

"...yeah."

"What the hell? Be happier about this, will you?" You jokingly nudged his arm. A soft, breathless voice broke the uncomfortable silence that settled over the two of you.

"Gray-sama?"

"Juvia!" You turned around, and gave her another heart wrenching hug. "(Y/N)-san!" She breathlessly hugged you back; it was twice, now.

"Hey, Juvia." Gray smiled, faintly.

She beamed back, radiant. Her expression held scintillas of obvious happiness and she looked like a student in love.

"Gray-sama, (Y/N)-san, would you like to go on a Job with Juvia?"

You considered it for a brief second, but dismissed it with a wave of your hand. "How about you and Gray go? I need to check for some leftover ones."

"Leftover? Ah...Juvia understands!" She grinned, childishly, and her hand fell to her side, where it gently intertwined with Gray's.

"Speaking of leftovers, Juvia almost forgot." She chuckled to herself, "Juvia baked some things, and saved a lot for (Y/N)-san. Juvia will go back and grab it-"

"Woah, you saved some for me?" You asked, practically sparkling with delight. "Let's go back together!"

"A-ah, but G-gray-sama and (Y/N)-san were still talking?"

"It's fine." Gray yawned. "Let's go back."

___

You laughed the moment you saw them. Her cookies were made into tiny Grays.

"They're my best batch." Juvia blushed, "Juvia saved the best for you."

You clapped your hands together in delight.

"Thank you!" You grinned, as she set the small bag into your waiting palms. "I can't wait to eat these," you stared at them with a hungry look.

Juvia blushed again. "T-they're not that good, (Y/N)-san..."

"What? I bet they're delicious-" You had wandered over to the Jobs board with Juvia, while you two had been talking.

Since it was newly updated, the Job board was filled and cluttered with papers tacked to it. Easy jobs went as far as simply searching for a bracelet inside a house to something like removing a curse from a biscuit.

Whatever they were, it wasn't those that you were searching for.

The noise of chairs scraping against the floor, the noise of silverware clashing together, and the noise of lively chatter disappeared into the background.

You lifted a few faded offers to peek at the ones hiding behind. Scanning; discarding. That was the repetitive process your mind went through as the bold words registered in your mind.

Unsuccessful in finding something, you decided to wait for many days later; when everyone took their jobs; the nice paying ones and the easy ones.

Why did you always do this?

Probably because some people in this world weren't fortunate enough to have a lot of money. There might be trouble in their lives, but they cannot seek help due to their nonexistent wealth.

Isn't that sad?