➳ Gray

"Flame brain!" I yelled. Instantly, he screamed back. "Ice queen!"

Staring straight at that pink haired boy, I didn't realize how pissed I was- until I found myself clenching my fist.

Scoffing, I released the pressure I had been holding in. "What, you wanna go?" I sneered.

The Mage that stood before me, straightened with a cocky look. "I'll beat you any day!" He exclaimed.

"Jeez, there they go again." Nearby, I heard Lucy mutter. Next to her- as I realized, I gulped- Erza. She had a disapproving look on her face as she stared at me.

Before I could even rush over and hug that damn guy to save ourselves from Erza, the door opened with a creak.

In the doorway, she stood. Her large eyes were doe-like, and always peered around curiously. They were almost always terrifying and enchanting at the same time.

"Are you fighting again?" She asked, her voice loud. A few people raised their heads to give her a glance.

"(Y/N)!" Natsu said, grinning. "Come beat this ice statue with me."

"No thanks," came her cool reply as she marched up to Mirajane- who gave me a knowing smirk.

I was frustrated with myself. It's been weeks ever since I had known my affection for (Y/N).

As she began talking with Mira, she shook her head at something the other had said, and laughed.

Eventually, Natsu gave up. Giving me one last stare, he sat back down.

"Gray-sama! What are you doing?" Juvia asked, cheerfully. She quieted down as she noticed who I had been staring at.

"Did (Y/N) just come back from her job?" She asked, and almost as if she wasn't expecting my answer, she spoke up again. "It's been two weeks since Juvia has seen (Y/N)-san!"

I looked downwards at the smiling water Mage, but didn't say anything. I turned back to look at (Y/N), a smile on my face. "Yeah."

"Do you miss her too, Gray-sama?"

I was careful in my answer. "She's a very close friend."

"Just a close friend, Gray-sama?" She couldn't help but push her luck, her expression tinged with hope and a little sadness.

I didn't respond to her question. "C'mon, aren't you going to greet her?"

As I watched her, she averted her eyes and skipped away from me- towards where the Mage lingered, a smile plastered on her face.

She was surrounded by her friends, who all welcomed her back.

Should I have gone?

The question lingered in my mind as I watched with no particular emotion.

Lately, I've been feeling awkward at just the thought of seeing and interacting with her again.

It was strange, but it made me want to puke.

Does she even miss me?

...Probably not. But before I could slink away, she caught me. "Ah, Gray?" (Y/N) called.

Our guild mates continued chatting among themselves, and dutifully bid (Y/N) farewell.

She walked towards me. Strong, resilient legs added a spring in her step. Seeming delicate arms swayed back and forth.

(Y/N)'s smile was like a queen's. Beaming brightly with a touch of royalty as her eyes sparkled at the sight of me.

...shit.

My heart was pounding so hard, I feared it would jump out of my chest and confess it's undying love for the Mage.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" The female asked as she studied my expression.

"No..." I cleared my throat. "How was the job?"

Usually, there were jobs that no one wanted to take- not even that stupid piece of charcoal.

If it was anyone to take up those odd jobs, it'd be (Y/N).

"It wasn't that bad," she grinned and crossed her arms, "compared to the other ones I've taken up." (Y/N)  finished.

I didn't respond, but I raised an eyebrow as I looked down at her.

She smacked me hard on my back. I stumbled forward from the force. Catching myself, (Y/N) asked, "what about you?"

"Not much." I noticed the corners of her lips curling up. The natural sunlight glittered off her eyes.

I brought the topic away from myself- it was a question I was dying to ask- "when's your next job?"

The female's eyes traveled up to meet mine. A wry smile appeared on her face. "What? You want me to leave, already?"

I gulped. "That's, uh, not really what I me...ant...." I trailed off; not because she looked like she wanted to say something.

It was simply because of that look on her face that lit her expression up with a touch of a sanguine feel.

Or perhaps, it could even be, how her irises searched mine for the million other phrases I was dying to speak.

Oh, wow, look at me. Do men get more poetic as they fall in love?

this book may/may not be updated regularly sorry, but I hope you enjoy

sorry, but I hope you enjoy