Chapter 4

"In the beginning, our family was human. A thousand years ago now. Although our mother dabbled in the dark arts, we were largely just a family trying to survive in a time that was quite difficult to do so. And for better or worse, we were happy." He started.

"That is until one night our youngest brother was killed by our village's greatest threat. Men that can transform themselves into wolves on the full moon. Our family was devastated. None more than Niklaus. Desperate to protect the rest of us, our father forced our mother to call upon her black magic in order to make us stronger. Thus, the first vampires were born."

"But with this speed, this strength, this immortality came this terrible hunger. And no one felt this hunger more than Niklaus. When he killed for the first time we knew what he truly was. He wasn't just a vampire." Elijah explained whilst removing his hands.

"He was also a werewolf. That's how the werewolf curse works. It isn't activated until you take a life." Hayley said realization.

"Niklaus was a result of an indiscretion our mother had hidden from us all. An affair with a werewolf like yourself." He directed towards Hayley before continuing. "Infuriated by her betrayal, our father had forced our mother to cast a spell that would suppress Klaus' werewolf side, denying him any connection with his true self."

"Your dad was a dick." Hayley confessed.

"That's an understatement." I pitched in causing Elijah to puff out a laugh towards the both of us.

"I'm Hayley, by the way. You should probably know my name if your gonna tell us your whole life story." She introduced whilst shaking Elijah's hand.

"I mean I know your's...your family is legendary. Your brother is a notorious psycho, who I slept with. Classic me." Hayley continued making me let out a small laugh.

"I cannot excuse his behavior but you must understand that our father hunted him, hunted us for centuries. Every time we found a moment of happiness, we were forced to flee. Even here. In New Orleans, where we were happiest of all." He explained as he stood and walked forward a bit.

"Not long after Niklaus broke the spell that kept him from becoming a hybrid, he defeated our father. I thought this would make him happy. He was angrier than ever." He stated sadly.

"I wonder if this baby would be a way for my brother to find happiness. A way to save him from himself." Elijah finished, glancing back and forth between us two.

"I'm glad you feel that way...because we need you help." A voice came from behind Elijah causing him to turn towards it, revealing Sophie.

"What precisely is it that you want? And what does it have to do with these two young women?" Elijah asked with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"We want to run Marcel and his vampires out of town. Klaus is the key. Everything Marcel knows about being a vampire, he learned from Klaus. Marcel trusts him. Looks up to him. He won't see the betrayal coming." Sophie explained.

"Yes, well I'm sure my brother Niklaus doesn't like being told what to do." Elijah told Sophie like she didn't know that.

"Yes. That's why I brought you here. Marcel drove the werewolves out of town decades ago. Do you really think he's going to welcome a hybrid baby to the neighborhood? Convince Klaus to help us and no one has to know of the newest member of the Original Family." Sophie stated.

"That sounds remarkably like blackmail. And also doesn't explain why Solisfilia is here." Elijah accused.

"Like I said, I'm desperate. And Liz was at the wrong place, at the wrong time." Sophie explained causing me to give a dry humorless laugh.

"You know exactly why I was here. You also know that you aren't gonna be able to take down Marcel." I growled out.

"Liz, you play a part in this more than you think." Sophie said.

"What do you mean?" Elijah was the one to ask.

"Now's not the time for this. All I can say is Marcel has information on your real family that you don't know about." She told me before turning towards Elijah, "Now. Like I said before I'm desperate."

Sparing me a glance, Elijah said with a sigh and smile, "Well then. I have my work cut out for me don't I?"

~~~~

Wrote on: February 27, 2016

Words: 758

Edited on: February 27, 2016