Chapter Six

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: FEBRUARY 29TH, 2016

PICTURED ABOVE: ALESHA

CHAPTER SIX

            I wake to a guilty conscience. Last night, instead of putting Griffyn's phone back down on the bedside table and staying out of his business, I deleted the message Melody had sent him.

            I don't know what caused me to do what I did, but before I knew it, I had pressed the button and the message disappeared. And with it, my dignity.

            I slip quietly out of the bed and glance over at his phone, untouched on the nightstand as he sleeps. As much as I wish to take back what I did and un-delete the message, I know I can't. And that realization makes my stomach hurt, just thinking about it.

            What will happen when he finds out? I know he's too much of my friend to be too angry with me, but I stooped low. He'll have a right to be angry with me. Hell, I'm angry with myself, even though I'm not particularly fond of Melody.

            This will be yet another thing to add to the list of stupid things I've done since I came back. I know for sure it won't help the fact that he thinks I'm jealous or something. Cue eye roll.

            I take a quick shower and wrap a scratchy blue towel that must be ten years old around me. I peek into my room and glance at Griff to make sure he's asleep before going to my closet to pick out some clothes for today. I quickly pick out a cute dress that Carolina bought for me this summer. Apparently, it compliments my skin tone.

            I turn back around and notice almost immediately that Griff is facing me now, when only moments ago, he was facing away. I narrow my eyes at him, trying to catch him in the act, but his breathing is steady like it should be when someone's sleeping, so I hurry back to the bathroom and shut the door.

            I start to slip into the dress when I curse. In my rush to get out of there, I hadn't grabbed-- a knock on the door interrupts my self-loathing thoughts. I wrap the towel around my body once again and open the door to find Griffyn standing there with a smirk.

            "I think you forgot these." He holds out his hand, and it it, he holds my undergarments. I blush furiously and snatch them from his hands.

            "Thank you. But I'm warning you. Don't ever touch them again, or I'll cut your hands off." I slam the door in his face and dress quickly, not wanting to think about the awkwardness that's awaiting me outside the door.

            I take extra time with blow drying and straightening my hair in order to put off having to go out and face Griff. Now, not only do I feel terrible about Melody, I also feel self-conscious about my underwear drawer he must've dug through to find a matching set. I shudder at the thought.