Chapter Fifteen

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: APRIL 8TH, 2016

PICTURED ABOVE: BROOK

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

            I may like Griffyn.

            I may love Griffyn.

            No, I'm totally and irreversibly in love with Griffyn.

            All weekend, I'd turned and analyzed and dissected every single thought and every single feeling concerning him. Every angle was considered and every situation thought out and broke down. Tons of thoughts to sort out, thousands of them. And in every single trial, I'd come to the same conclusion.

            I love my best friend.

            I've read enough stories and seen enough movies to know that this was actually quite inevitable. Little to no friendships of different genders can pull through without one's feelings changing about the other. It happened to Eleanor and Park, it happened to Thorne and Cress, it happened to me.

            There's only one problem, though...

            My thoughts are always pulled back to my parents. I hadn't thought of what they were before their marriage much at all. Even when they'd been one of those perfectly in love couples. I never really cared for rehearing the stories of their romance.

            They'd end up telling me anyway and most of the time, I'd just tune it out. I'd thought that all that really mattered started with their marriage, sealed by that one fateful kiss.

            But there is much more to their story.

            Daniel Bailey and Lauren Chase were high school sweethearts.

            It wasn't even that cliché bad boy and naïve girl nor that popular boy and new girl romance that always seems to be described in many teen novels these days. It was something of an entirely different cliché.

            They were best friends.

            Their parents met in college and were crazy enough to all settle in the same town after they'd graduated. My grandmothers timed their pregnancies and... Boom. There was my father, and one week later, there was my mother.

            Growing up, they were the type of friends that would never really reach out to each other, but when they did meet up, most of the time by coincidence, they got along like two corresponding pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

            My mother claimed she had always been in love with him, ever since the beginning of their friendship. But my father wasn't the same way. At least, I believe he wasn't. He was never the one telling the stories. He never told us his take on things. Not once did I hear him say when he started having feelings for her. But if I were to guess now, I would say he never loved her in the first place. It was just easier for him to marry her because she'd always been there for him and the odds were in their favor. And I bet he liked how she practically worshipped him too. He'd always been one to choose the easy way out. If something was too hard or too complicated he'd either do leave it be or find someone else to do it for him. Of course he'd choose to marry her. She did everything he asked her to. I just can't believe that I never caught on.