Chapter Four

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: FEBRUARY 23RD, 2016

CHAPTER FOUR

             A pillow hits me in the face. "Answer your phone!" Carolina calls from across the room. I can only guess that she was the one who threw the pillow at me.

            "It's not mine," I grumble sleepily, trying to burrow further into the sleeping bag. Another pillow hits me, knocking me out of sleep once again.

            "Yes it is! Now answer it or I'm going to throw it out the window!" Carolina threatens, letting out an irritated groan and throwing the covers over her head.

            I frown and pick up my phone. Sure enough, it's the one that's been ringing for the past five minutes. Who calls me this early on the first day of school? Doesn't everyone just sleep in until twenty minutes till?

            Four missed calls from Griffyn, I read on my screen just before his name pops up and my phone starts letting out the annoying tone once again. I answer quickly, fearing another pillow will be thrown my way if I let it ring.

            "What do you want at this time in the morning?" I mumble into the phone, half-asleep

            "What do you want at this time in the morning?" I mumble into the phone, half-asleep. I can't even tell if he can understand my words. "It's the first day of school!"

            "I'm out front. Just get out here and let me take you home." Griffyn tells me, hanging up as soon as he does.

            "I didn't even know you were picking me up," I grumble into the phone even though I know the call isn't connected any longer. His words have me wide awake by the time I pull the phone away from my ear. Why's he in such a bad mood? I thought we made up yesterday. But then again, his bad mood could be about something other than me. I highly doubt it, though.

            I start gathering my things quickly, not wanting to put him in a worse mood than he already is. I slip on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, and some well worn out tennis shoes and slip my hair into a loose ponytail.

            Stopping at the door to her room, I look back at Carolina, remembering my manners, "Thanks for having me."

            "Yeah, yeah," she mutters from underneath the covers. "Just lock the door behind you when you go out."

            I nod even though I know she can't see me and make my way down the stairs. I find Darren sitting on the couch with a bowl of fruit loops, watching the morning news intensely. He gives me a confused look when he sees me. "Why are you leaving so early? Isn't Carolina taking you to your first day of school?"

            I shrug, "No, apparently not. My ride is moody today and thought it would be perfectly acceptable to pick me up at six on a Monday morning."

            Darren raises an eyebrow, "Well, I could've just driven you home later if you really needed to go. All you had to do was ask."

            "Yeah," I agree, "I could've, but my rides already here and I think that would put him in an even worse mood than he already is if I told him that he didn't even need to come."